Riddle me this...

pjrohr

I know it's been asked and discussed numerous times here, but can anyone tell me why you'd go back to gears after riding a SS? Yeah, I'm the one that almost had to sell the GT because I thought I'd snuck it in under the radar (turned into a 40th birthday gift), but I gotta say, I'm hard-pressed to get back on my Rush after two weeks without gears. Granted, I've only ridden LM (thanks to whoever blazed the teal trails) and haven't taken it to Chimney Rock yet, but something tells me the only thing I'll miss there is the suspension. My thanks to everyone here at MTBNJ who's done a really great job of expressing how fun the SS experience is and motivating me to try it!

walter

Fourth Party
Since I got back from my injury I have been riding my geared bike. Its OK but I miss the simplicity and quiet of my single speed.

Cant wait till the new one gets here.:D

Shaggz

A strong 7
If the C-Dale were a tad bit smaller and you'd take $100 per month, I would help you out. :D:topic:

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
somebody mentioned Guacamole?!?!?! :D

SS its fun when you are in shape....or it forces you to get in shape...

I went back to gears when I went out of shape and then when I broke my SS

I do miss my SS....Jamis hasn't delivered my new frame :(

but that being said...like all things in life...I like variety, can't stick with only SS...well not just yet....having other bikes/setups gives me flexibility. ;)

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I know it's been asked and discussed numerous times here, but can anyone tell me why you'd go back to gears after riding a SS?

Hmm....

I guess I'd consider going back to gears if my knees were chronically hurting, or if I rode so infrequently I wasn't strong enough to enjoy the ride, or if I was going to do a lot of riding at places with a lot of slow/grinding/technical climbing (which would bork my knees).

I do plan on making my SS a 1x9 for this winter. Getting enough traction when attacking climbs in the snow seems like it will be problematic...'will need to be able to "finesse" the climbing in the snow (not a "Tim on a SS" trait).

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i haven't ridden a geared bike in the woods in almost two years. recently i have been thinking about going back to a geared bike simply b/c i want to so some longer rides. BUT, since that won't be happening anytime soon, i'll prolly just pimp out the mary a bit more.

you can ride the SS anywhere so fear not. CR, LM, KVSP, Mahlon, Deer Park and i'm told even alamuchy. :D

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
i haven't ridden a geared bike in the woods in almost two years. recently i have been thinking about going back to a geared bike simply b/c i want to so some longer rides. BUT, since that won't be happening anytime soon, i'll prolly just pimp out the mary a bit more.

you can ride the SS anywhere so fear not. CR, LM, KVSP, Mahlon, Deer Park and i'm told even alamuchy. :D

Don't forget Blue, WaWay, Ringwood, Skyline ;) But that is why u need to be in shape, if not, it can take all the fun out of it.

BiknBen

bonefishjack said:
i haven't ridden a geared bike in the woods in almost two years.

You just reminded me, it has been two years since I sold my entire inventory of 26" shiftie-shiftie stuff and bought a Mary. :getsome:

I have always loved the simplicity of SS and Fixed gear riding. Even more so on a fixed gear. One of the benefits that is often overlooked is the ease of ownership. Very little maintenance is required to keep the SS running. Wipe the chain...keep it lubed...and you are good to go.

You do have to be more conscious of the places you intend to ride. If you go with the correct mindset, even the places that are not SS-friendly can be fun.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You just reminded me, it has been two years since I sold my entire inventory of 26" shiftie-shiftie stuff and bought a Mary. :getsome:

i didn't sell mine that fast b/c i was making the jump not only from 26" but from gears too...but the fuel didn't see trail time but twice.

Top Bottom