Replacing the Battery in a Wahoo Elemnt

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
That’s some solid stuff. I would have bugged out just taking the screws out of the thing. I don’t do well with electronics. Really impressive and saving something from the dumpster!

krink

Eddie Munster
If you've been following the BIYF thread, you'd see that my Elemnt has died on me a couple times.
Bought it new from @FitmanNJ - i think it was a warranty replacement ?? That was a bunch of years back.
Battery wouldn't last an hour in the cold with a full charge - so i fired up the goog and found that wahoo no
longer offered a replacement battery - but they'd give me 20% off a new computer.

Unacceptable.

The goog also found a fellow cyclist that upgraded the battery with a reasonable alternative

$10 on ebay -

Here we go - put this, inside there.

TBC
Thats freakin awesome. and a spudger...... who knew. And the LiPo bag, damn im still finding shit you just taught me, and ive built my own desktops in the past. Well Done.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Thats freakin awesome. and a spudger...... who knew. And the LiPo bag, damn im still finding shit you just taught me, and ive built my own desktops in the past. Well Done.

got the bag when there were reports that the inexpensive batteries for the inexpensive bike lights were self-immolating.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I just use regular cheap clear silicone when making sketchy electronic repairs in gas dispensers , it usually works like a charm . I say cheap so disassembly in the future will be possible without damage.
Thanks to both of you. When it was 11:30pm putting it together I'm pretty sure I thought "Either hot glue, or better yet, bathtub silicone would work great for this" and then proceeded to forget entirely about it.

I'll get the tube @Patrick posted. I think it looks perfect.

I say that now, until I get that shit everywhere of course.

jklett

At my old place we used to use GE type 1 silicone(Lowe's/ Depot stuff) for putting on display covers on our handheld programmers. These were industrial equipment so it had to be pretty much bulletproof and the cheap RTV worked best, the higher end stuff wouldn't cure properly and we had some covers come off in the field because of it where we never had a problem with the cheap type 1.

Patrick

Staff member
1611748288135.png

1611748258462.png

went to bed last night with the Elemnt sitting on my desk with the backlight on, tracking my "hike"
it was 7 hours into the recording. Sometime over night it ran down, so plugged it in this morning and got this sad face (fretting?)
After a ruh roh moment, a quick google revealed that the USB cable isn't
supplying enough power to charge. I had a portable hard drive and my iphone plugged in along with the
Elemnt. Unplugged the portable drive, and it started charging.

Booted-up - looks like it lasted 13 hours.

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
total runtime since last charge: 6:45
some with HR monitor ANT+, some w/o
all in sub 30F weather.
extrapolates out to 10 hours or so.
it has also done two firmware upgrades on this charge.

1612106916172.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom