Replacing the Battery in a Wahoo Elemnt

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
If you've been following the BIYF thread, you'd see that my Elemnt has died on me a couple times.
Bought it new from @FitmanNJ - i think it was a warranty replacement ?? That was a bunch of years back.
Battery wouldn't last an hour in the cold with a full charge - so i fired up the goog and found that wahoo no
longer offered a replacement battery - but they'd give me 20% off a new computer.

Unacceptable.

The goog also found a fellow cyclist that upgraded the battery with a reasonable alternative

$10 on ebay -

Here we go - put this, inside there.

1611691699884.png

The cover is held on with 8 T-6 screws. They have very shallow caps, so make sure the tool is aligned. each screw has a rubber washer.
Some came out, some stayed in. Easy enough to pick out with pointy tweezers.

1611691822690.png

1611691841319.png

1611691874618.png

The two black blocks on the end of the ribbon cables are connectors, just pop them off with a spudger.

1611692061678.png

Then use the tool to remove (carefully) the longer ribbon cable from the battery wrap, and pry the battery out of the case.
They used a little bit of glue, but it comes out easy enough.

1611692161540.png

You can see the new battery is smaller than the old one - yet has a higher capacity.
The two lead wires are not going to do us any good.

1611692235696.png

Finish unwrapping the old battery, and remove the frame. There is tape, and a plastic cover.

1611692335756.png

The black bar at the top is the battery protection circuit - it has the ribbon cable attached to it. we are going to unfold it and cut it off.
Keep it, we are going to need to attach it to the new battery.

1611692425721.png

Carefully remove the protection circuit board from the old battery -

Open the new battery, again more tape, but it will unfold and then go ahead and cut or peel off the leads.
You should end up with something like this.

1611692497077.png

TBC

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
Solder the old protection board onto the new battery - the terminals are labeled on the board and battery, so get the polarity correct or 🔥
The distance between the terminals is slightly shorter, so put a z-fold in the longer lead to get them to line up.

1611692644658.png

Work in reverse, getting everything nicely wrapped with the old tape and tucked into the battery compartment.
the fit was a little different for the ribbon cable, but there is enough slack to make up for it.

1611692749041.png

Turned it on and it was already charged to 63% - seems it forgot the time.

1611692791154.png

Didn't want to take any chances - so it is charging with the smallest brick i could find, in the bag, in the sink.
Not that i'd want to put water on lithium, but #YOLO

1611692869345.png

1611692888540.png

Will report back if it blows up in my face while riding. Better check the rating on my riding glasses.

Last edited:

Dingo

I had the battery replaced in my phone @batteries plus. They said to run it down before charging. :shrug:

They installed the battery for less than an ebay no name battery. Inc 1 year free replacement too

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
my garmin 520 says the battery is low when its cold, but the lasts for 6+ hours, so im debating on if i need to do the same thing...

Patrick

Staff member
my garmin 520 says the battery is low when its cold, but the lasts for 6+ hours, so im debating on if i need to do the same thing...

what is cold to you now? :D

and if you are going to do a 7 hour ride, the answer would be yessssss.

I had the battery replaced in my phone @batteries plus. They said to run it down before charging. :shrug:

They installed the battery for less than an ebay no name battery. Inc 1 year free replacement too

Running it down would probably make sense - reset the board's idea of zero/full.
maybe i'll turn the backlight on and see how long it lasts. at least until it starts on fire.

if i had a direct replacement, with cable, this would have been way too easy.

I have an iphone repair kit from doing my son's battery in his old phone - was way easier.
we have a batteries plus - i should use them more. usually go to icity - he needed a new screen - cheap enough.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm so jealous of the gasket on the screen as opposed to how my Garmin is a foam gasket type seal..

@Pearl I did the battery in my 820. Wasn't that hard, but I got to the point where the screen doesn't stay in because the foam/glue that held it in was torn apart and I have no idea what glue to use to put it back on...

I'm hoping @Patrick says he's got some sort of glue or 2mm foam gasket with adhesive I can steal 8" of.

Patrick

Staff member
I'm so jealous of the gasket on the screen as opposed to how my Garmin is a foam gasket type seal..

@Pearl I did the battery in my 820. Wasn't that hard, but I got to the point where the screen doesn't stay in because the foam/glue that held it in was torn apart and I have no idea what glue to use to put it back on...

I'm hoping @Patrick says he's got some sort of glue or 2mm foam gasket with adhesive I can steal 8" of.

no luck on the generic gasket......

think thick parchment paper would work?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
no luck on the generic gasket......

I just need a light glue to hold it all down.

The foam is kind of torn, but it's all there and mates. There's just nothing sticky to hold the screen in place.

I don't want to use superglue. I need a glue that holds the screen down, but I can pry it up in the future if need be.

rick81721

Lothar
If you've been following the BIYF thread, you'll see that my Elemnt has died on me a couple times.
Bought it new from @FitmanNJ - i think it was a warranty replacement ?? That was a bunch of years back.
Battery wouldn't last an hour in the cold with a full charge - so i fired up the goog and found that wahoo no
longer offered a replacement battery - but they'd give me 20% off a new computer.

Unacceptable.

The goog also found a fellow cyclist that replaced the battery with an acceptable replacement.

$10 on ebay -

Here we go - put this, inside there.

View attachment 149965

The cover is held on with 8 T-6 screws. They have very shallow caps, so make sure the tool is aligned. each screw has a rubber washer.
Some came out, some stayed in. Easy enough to pick out with pointy tweezers.

View attachment 149966

View attachment 149967

View attachment 149968

The two black blocks on the end of the ribbon cables are connectors, just pop them off with a spudger.

View attachment 149970

Then use the tool to remove (carefully) the longer ribbon cable from the battery wrap, and pry it out of the case.
They used a little bit of glue, but it comes out easy enough.

View attachment 149971

You can see the new battery is smaller than the old one - yet has a higher capacity.
The two lead wires are not going to do us any good.

View attachment 149972

Finish unwrapping the old battery, and remove the frame. There is tape, and a plastic cover.

View attachment 149973

The black bar at the top is the battery protection circuit - it has the ribbon cable attached to it. we are going to unfold it and cut it off.
Keep it, we are going to need to attach it to the new battery.

View attachment 149974

Carefully remove the protection circuit board from the old battery - again more tape, but it will unfold and then go ahead and cut or peel off the leads.
You should end up with something like this.

View attachment 149975

TBC

tenor (14).gif

Top Bottom