Replacement axle for rear stans hub

16296518242322044094035690848389.jpg

Anyone know where i can get this? Its about 5 inches long and .5 inches in diameter. Reminds me of something. Ha. Thanks for any advice or laughter you can provide.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you under warranty stans will replace it for free. If not they sell replacements for like $15

There should be a part # on the axle.

I'm willing to bet it's https://www.notubes.com/kit-neo-axle-rear-12x135-142-singlespeed

Replacement steel version which should be more durable: https://www.notubes.com/kit-neo-os-axle-rear-12x135-142-and-singlespeed
I think we have a winner. Good call on checking the part number. Part of it is illegible due to some wear, but I can see 1-125 which matches up with the picture. Definitely going steel. This aluminum one is so flimsy. Cost me a rear derailleur as well. Thank you thank you.

If you under warranty stans will replace it for free. If not they sell replacements for like $15
Its been less than a year so I'd think so but probably not worth the hassle for 20 bucks. I'd like to go with the steel suggestion as well so I don't have to deal with this again. Thanks for the help.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Its been less than a year so I'd think so but probably not worth the hassle for 20 bucks. I'd like to go with the steel suggestion as well so I don't have to deal with this again. Thanks for the help.

They send steel replacements if you break one under warranty. Iv been there that's how I know

They send steel replacements if you break one under warranty. Iv been there that's how I know
Very interesting. How long of a process are we talking? Bought the wheel from competitive cyclist on 3/2020; had the wrong year (its all bleeding together) but I think should still be under warranty. Its really in that price range where I don't mind just paying to have the bike working again sooner rather than later.

Not long. A day or two more than shipping including time to file.
TLDR: Stans custom service is probably as good as it gets.

I submit my claim and get an email less than an hour later saying that not only are they going to send me the new steel axle, but a new freehub and shell bearings. Ok, I'm thinking that's awesome. Now I had already ordered the replacement axle thinking that it would come first (arriving Friday) and then when the warrantied axle arrives, I'll just ship that one back and just be on the hook for the shipping. Well it turns out I'm actually getting the warrantied parts on Wed. So I mention to the customer rep that I had already ordered a replacement so he just goes ahead and refunds the cost of that on the spot and tells me to just keep it b/c it would cost them more if I did return it. I'm pretty blown away.

Thanks again for suggesting I check on the warranty.

Last edited:
The plot thickens. Cue the intro to law & order (original series).

So the free hub they sent me is on the bottom and the original on top. This can't be right can it? I see there's some threads on the new hub. Does something screw onto that. The cassette just wobbles around on the new hub. And the axle doesn't fit into the old hub. So as it stands, effort 11 out of 10; execution tbd.

20210826_183146.jpg

Great googly moogly. Looking at the receipt for the wheel I sent them, it says "shimano/sram". Looks like they guessed wrong. Well I was able to get the axle through the existing free hub but boy was the one side tight. Probably not a good thing. So its just the cassette I'd need if I'd want to use the hub they sent me? If so, I'll wait to do the switcharoo once this cassette starts to wear b/c I just threw this baby on.

JDurk

Great googly moogly. Looking at the receipt for the wheel I sent them, it says "shimano/sram". Looks like they guessed wrong. Well I was able to get the axle through the existing free hub but boy was the one side tight. Probably not a good thing. So its just the cassette I'd need if I'd want to use the hub they sent me? If so, I'll wait to do the switcharoo once this cassette starts to wear b/c I just threw this baby on.
Shimano cassette won't work with a SRAM free hub and vice versa

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

was it 11 sp? I might have a sram cassette around. 10-42. would trade for your old shimano.

Top Bottom