Replaced brake pads and now im rubbing!!

T

TWITCH1

So just replaced my magura brake pads with kool stop brake pads. I now have a bad rub and i cant get it to stop. I used a screwdriver to try and spread the pads and seat everything and that worked to get the disc in between the callipers but i cant seem to get the calliper that moves to stop rubbing the disc... I've tried using cards to try spreading thingswithout luck. What now? How much would it cost to have a shop fix all this? How could i fix all this?:hmmm: Oh and i've tried using a shim but it only help a very tiny bit. What do you think, shop, or shim it out?:getsome:

MST.ESQ

So just replaced my magura brake pads with kool stop brake pads. I now have a bad rub and i cant get it to stop. I used a screwdriver to try and spread the pads and seat everything and that worked to get the disc in between the callipers but i cant seem to get the calliper that moves to stop rubbing the disc... I've tried using cards to try spreading thingswithout luck. What now? How much would it cost to have a shop fix all this? How could i fix all this?:hmmm: Oh and i've tried using a shim but it only help a very tiny bit. What do you think, shop, or shim it out?:getsome:

LBS could fix this for less than you may cause in damage with a screwdriver - or the cost and time associated with playing with shims. When it comes to brakes, if they don't go on real easy, I take it to a pro.

BiknBen

Take it to a shop and ask them to show you what they do to resolve the issue. Pay them what they deserve. Next time you will know.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
you probably aren't putting enough force on the pads to push the piston back, put your old pads back in and work a screwdriver back and forth. Also, the kool stop pads might be thicker than the stock maggies, which could be the problem. I ran into this once with pads that were supposedly avid compatible, and they weren't.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
If they are rubbing on one side only, with clean hands press the rotor towards that side, then while you are pressing, squeeze the brake lever several times. This is a magura trick that Jude showed me. It may be enough to settle the pads in. If not, I'm with Ben. Magura's are great brakes but they take a little to get just right sometimes. And if you have the wrong pads, the shop would know.

Last edited:

jimjo

if the pads are thicker youll probably need to do a bleed.
the piston might not be retracting through its full range
is your rotor straight?

use a plastic tire lever instead of a screwdriver

Top Bottom