Repairs to Toe Booties

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
So I bought a pair of those neoprene toe warmer AGES ago and remember using them once on the road. So long ago dont even remember if I liked them :eek:

The Hub and I did a ride in the woods (before the storm) on a chilly day and I decided to try them out. Kept my feet reasonably warm and dry, but after ONE ride where I did have to get off a few times they look like this:

Attachments

• PA233623.jpg
    PA233623.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

Arwen's Mom

Yuppers, a couple of those spots are HOLES. What a bummer.

SO I got this great idea of how duct tape fixes everything and did this:

Attachments

• PA233625.jpg
    PA233625.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 162

Arwen's Mom

IT WORKED! for a short period of time. It would have worked better if I had cleaned the booties first I am sure.

But they went through a few road rides with walks and a trail ride or two with short walks.

Then I remembered something I did to a pair of fuzzy slippers AGES ago to make them suitable to wear outside. Put that idea together with the thought "why dont these companies make these with rubber bottoms?" and this is what I did:

Attachments

• PB083720.jpg
    PB083720.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 130
  • PB083723.jpg
    PB083723.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 150

Arwen's Mom

IT WORKED GREAT!

Tried them yesterday and my feet stayed drier and warmer as well. I put the "rubber" only on the bottom. Even with multiple dismounts I got one tiny gash on the edge in front of the clip.

To fix that as well as just a tiny bit of extra abrasion protection I added duct tape to just the bottom part. Since it is rubber rather than fabric, and cleaned nicely, the duct tape will stick better too.

Attachments

• PB083724.jpg
    PB083724.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 126

Arwen's Mom

This was a pretty cheap fix and was certainly cheaper than buying another pair of booties.

The rubber actually repaired the holes as well!

To do this I used a can of that "plasti-dip" it used less than a third of the can and just brushed it on. First coat was very thin, then next 2 coats a little thicker. Then a fourth coat on just the "contact" areas where the holes were.

I had the booties on the shoes while doing this. And I used a piece of "slippery" paper under the hole in the bootie to keep the rubber off the shoes.

Anyway, just wanted to share :D

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
you have an impressive duct tape collection...

nice creativity.

CDub

I've found that tyvek envelopes (USPS mailing envelope) folded into a sock have worked better than any bootie/covering. Can't beat the price too.

J-Dro

El Zoller's World Cup thread has many more examples of improved booty than this thread. Just sayin'.

Arwen's Mom

Fidodie, Thanks. Only 2 types. Why cant duct tape be fun :D

Stan, do you have ruby slippers too? How cool is THAT?

Pooriggy, just cause I like you, I changed the title.

Spartabard, while I understand the "never meant to unclip" what do you do at a traffic light, intersection where The Hub insists on walking across, unplanned dismount, need to get off to fix chain, blah blah blah. While not "meant" to unclip, it happens and I felt this was a nice cheap way to either fix damage or prevent damage in the first place, rather than buy another pair. Also, buying the neoprene and the plasti-dip turned out to be cheaper than buying a set of "booties" that are made for trail use, which is cool as it left me with more funds available to buy other silly things at the bike shop, like more socks or a cool red and black wool sweater, you know to match my red and black pants that match my red and black bikes, but I digress....

We did a few rides with the "new" improvement/repairs and they worked great! The new red/black duct tape held to the rubber even while wet for over an hour. My feet stayed so much drier and warmer too.

Sorry for those of you disappointed on the lack of "booty" shots and instead got "bootie" shots.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
i've never had luck with those booties either. i just make my own booties entirely out of duct tape and that usually gets me through the winter. My duct tape is far more boring than yours though.

Arwen's Mom

i've never had luck with those booties either. i just make my own booties entirely out of duct tape and that usually gets me through the winter. My duct tape is far more boring than yours though.

Brilliant! Photo?

fun duct tape, btw, can be found at home depot and many craft stores ;)

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
You all are over-thinking it. Luckily, my natural limitations in that regard have only allowed me the capacity for simple solutions. Far better than toe booties: two pairs of socks with a plastic bag between them. I personally prefer wool socks on the outside, regular wicking socks on the inside. The plastic bag is your vapor barrier, and since it's not on the outside, it never rips like your neoprene booties will. Your feet will sweat, but the plastic will keep it from evaporating, which will keep you warm.

Arwen's Mom

You all are over-thinking it. Luckily, my natural limitations in that regard have only allowed me the capacity for simple solutions. Far better than toe booties: two pairs of socks with a plastic bag between them. I personally prefer wool socks on the outside, regular wicking socks on the inside. The plastic bag is your vapor barrier, and since it's not on the outside, it never rips like your neoprene booties will. Your feet will sweat, but the plastic will keep it from evaporating, which will keep you warm.

been there, done that, and doesnt work for me.

soulchild

I have repaired Castelli Neoprene shoe covers with neoprene iron on patches for wetsuits called Iron Mend... I had a bunch of holes like your toe covers on the bottom of mine between the cleat and heal so I patched that spot on both covers and reinforced to the toes since I had leftover material...

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Brilliant! Photo?

fun duct tape, btw, can be found at home depot and many craft stores ;)

Better late than never. I've done a cleaner job in past years but oh well. Shoes were winterized tonight:
Duct%2520Tape%2520Shoes.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom