Relaxed clipless (hike-a-bike) shoe

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I've been riding Sidis for a while and they're light and stiff and good for racing, but I'd like something more relaxed (and less slippery) for when I'm just riding trails, and especially through those hike-a-bike sections (which occur frequently with me :D). Anyone want to recommend a softer more flexible clipless biking shoe? Gotta be SPD compatible.

I've seen a few online but have no experience with the brands and shoes:

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produ...s-w--Crank-Brothers-Egg-Beater-MXR-Pedals.htm
http://www.lakecycling.com/Products/MX155__MX155.aspx

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
The Adidas El Moro's BLOW. I broke the sole stiffener in one shoe on my second ride with them (granted, it was while hitting a drop and using eggbeaters without a platform to spread out the load, but still), and broke the other sole stiffener a couple rides later. I ended up returning the shoes.

Gumby's been riding a pair of Specialized Taho's for years, and seems to like them.

J-7

I have a pair of Taho's from last year and they're pretty nice. It's only my second pair of shoes so I don't have much of a comparison to offer on the bike. However, their just o. k. for a hike-a-bike. The sole looks like a hiking boot but as I've seen with many shoes, the area around the cleat is flat the tread around that area can't really dig into the ground.
They work, they're comfortable, and since I'm not very racy right now, they don't make me look like a poser.

Spylab

The Adidas El Moro's BLOW. I broke the sole stiffener in one shoe on my second ride with them (granted, it was while hitting a drop and using eggbeaters without a platform to spread out the load, but still), and broke the other sole stiffener a couple rides later. I ended up returning the shoes.

Gumby's been riding a pair of Specialized Taho's for years, and seems to like them.

Wow. This is crazy, because I was just about to SUGGEST the Adidas. I bought my El Moros in late 2006 and have put them through hell on both the fixie and the mountain bike. I have gone through 4 sets of cleats but the shoes are still in almost perfect shape. Weird.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Wow. This is crazy, because I was just about to SUGGEST the Adidas. I bought my El Moros in late 2006 and have put them through hell on both the fixie and the mountain bike. I have gone through 4 sets of cleats but the shoes are still in almost perfect shape. Weird.

Well Jamie is a pretty big dude. :D

Top Bottom