Recovery room

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
A recovery room section would be a great place for injured or rehabilitating riders to kick around stories and share experiences. A place where one can lick his wounds without looking like a sissy mary.

I am laid up for a bit and was wondering if anyone else is surfing couch as hard as me.

rocknrollgirl

I agree. I was injured for 3 months last year and could have used a few shoulders to cry on. Great idea.

And sorry to hear that you are off the bike. I hope you get better soon.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i think that falls in the "i'm not sbr thread". :D

seriously though, feel better.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
seriously though, feel better.

Thanks, but I hate know the actual stats of who/when we all eventually meet the grim reaper of time out of the saddle. Many of us might share a common bruise or sprain, or share some odd sickness on of our family members must endure. A lil recovery corner could help form a bond between members who would otherwise not chat.

i dont use the site as a meer crutch of entertainemt like some others, I (for the most part) try to share inforamtion with others who have a common interest in riding. I appreciate this place and think it could be a benefit to the members if y'all would sleep on the idea.

FWIW, a sports medice group might want to place a little banner as an ad or something along those lines.:confused:

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
I'm out for a bit.
It's day three and I'm okay about it for now.
I lucked out with a big sprain and a small tear in the AC, right shoulder.
Ortho gave me exercises and icing instructions.

Looking at a really frigid week makes it easier,
but we'll see how I feel about it in a week or two.

He said no bike, but I'm thinking the trainer will be set up in short order since I have the climbing block. I had no desire to get that thing out but with my new perspective on things it sounds like a great idea.
(someone else will have to do the setting up)

What'cha in for FFT?

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
I lucked out with a big sprain and a small tear in the AC, right shoulder.
Ortho gave me exercises and icing instructions.

What'cha in for FFT?

I've had great luck with resistance band rehab at home as well as ice and rest, i am pretty good at eying up a landing with a shoulder or two. The bands I use are cheap but I forget where to get them.

Anyway, I had bilateral excision exostosis, you can google it but wont get an answer. Exostocis is refered to "Surfers Ear", it occurs from exposure to cold water. Basically the ENT removed bone growths in the outer ear canal of the L&R ears. This was done with a drill bit and hand tools - 4.5 hours under the knife. The recover is said to be two week, I into the second but my right ear is still swollen and leaves me with naseau.

I had a hand surgury scheduled for yesterday but had to postpone that until the dizzyness resides. I am not too bummed out about either. I hope to hike this weekend.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
I've had great luck with resistance band rehab at home as well as ice and rest
Excellent. That's what I'm looking for. Though there's not much rest in my house and I haven't had a 'chance' to ice yet, I really think just continuing to move it to tolerance kept everything from ceasing up and gave me a foot up on recovery... not that it doesn't hurt like hell.
I am pretty good at eying up a landing with a shoulder or two.
:rofl: Yeah, I'm usually good at 'Tuck and Roll', but this time I only got to 'Tuck and R...' :rofl:
Anyway, I had bilateral excision exostosis, you can google it but wont get an answer. Exostocis is refered to "Surfers Ear", it occurs from exposure to cold water. Basically the ENT removed bone growths in the outer ear canal of the L&R ears. This was done with a drill bit and hand tools - 4.5 hours under the knife. The recover is said to be two week, I into the second but my right ear is still swollen and leaves me with naseau.

I had a hand surgury scheduled for yesterday but had to postpone that until the dizzyness resides. I am not too bummed out about either. I hope to hike this weekend.

Yikes! None of that sounds like fun at all!
Actually, I am extremely familiar with exostoses which refers to extra growth. The bilateral would refer to both sides and the excision would probably refer to their removal. My kids have 'multiple hereditary exostosis' or MHE(not from my gene pool- they only get 'exos gluteus maximus' or extra wide butt potential from my side:rolleyes:). The growths are individually refered to as osteo exostosis or osteo chondromas or soft bone tumors(benign). They appear in the growth plates as 'extra bones' or bumps in multiples of shapes. My daughter hasn't had too much trouble with hers, but my son has had a real hard time.

He's 15, has had two surgeries already, deals with pain on a daily basis, has a visibly deformed arm because of it and needs surgery again on his arm and both knees as it's getting harder and harder for him to move. All this and he plays JV hockey(rookie of the year last year) and goalie for his Lacrosse team. He's an inspiration to the kids that see him for who he is and the ones that tease because he's 'different'- they are what they are.

There is no 'can't' in our house and there are no ceilings to potential. So, can I lie down and give up? Nope. If I fight the odds, my kids know they can too...

:topic:

Dizziness and nausea can make even lying on the couch hard.
I hope you can hike this weekend, it should be pretty.
Just stay away from the ledges, eh? :eek::)

sixseven

Got it. Hey when FFT wakes up can you tell him that the nurse confiscated the Feb issue of Nugget he left out on the table?

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
Glad to report I went for a hike 2day in Allaire. It was nice to see people getting real nice trail condiotions. I happened to run into one group at the same spot twicwe over coarse of an hour - whats the chances of that.

FWIW, the trail was bullit proff and the cover was coming up out of the 2mm of snow. Sunday should make for a nice ride - good luck to everyone.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Glad to hear you got out, FFT.

I did too, with the family. We hiked around on our frozen lake, 2 miles to the in-laws trudging on the snow covered ice and then back. Got a good cardio workout even, especially when we found ourselves standing in slush on who-knows-how-much-ice over 35 feet of water:scared:.

The kids loved it and the pup ate half the snow from here to there and back.

I thought about how cool it would be to put studs on my tires and ride on the ice... not for me this time. It's a good size lake and it's really not often that it freezes solid enough to walk across the whole thing so it's great to take advantage of it.

We saw a number of other groups frolicking in our almost surreal winterscape. Kids were skating and playing hockey on a shoveled patches, a XC skiing family slid across the surface along the opposite shore and we passed a handful of ice fishing groups. One had a 6x6' ice house manned with 6 adults, 5 dogs(one tried to 'Alpha' my dog) and beer. The two others had fires roaring in portable fire pits. One had a campkitchen set-up, folding chairs and the like, the next was a bit less produced.

Lots of fun, good sights, good memories and it was nice to see the neighbors wearing more than beach attire for a change:p.

Though I'd like to see all the RW, JH and local trails ice free and rideable, I'd also like to see the 1/2 regulation hockey rink area my son and his buddies cleared and resurfaced at the beach withstand the snow we have coming. They deserve a chance to enjoy it.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
FFT,

Geeze, hope you're feeling better. Not sure if you had the hand surgery yet, but nausea is a bummer.

Second hand experience here, but when mr pixy had his hip replaced last year, the transition from morphine to percocet did not go well. He suffered nausea, dizziness and loss of appetite. It may have been too many meds for his body to handle. Although pain management is personal, he opted for no pain drugs once home. NJJess helped me with healthy food ideas for his recovery. A few days of home cooking, and he was feeling better.

Hope you feel better soon.

dhsean

Dam FFT. At least it is during the Winter.

Heal up quick - Diablo's opening day is just around the corner in May.

Top Bottom