recommended online retailer for MTB?

B737

Hey guys im looking to buy these tires for spring, none of the LBS around here stock them...

can anyone here recommend a reputable online retailer that has a variety of stuff (tires)?

trying to find....
WTB Weirwolf 2.3

B737

i almost missed that second post before ordering! thanks for the PM :)

you just saved me 4 bucks! i owe ya a round of beer.

one last question...
Im pretty sure when i last changed both my tubes they were ok to fit 2.3" tires (from reading the packaging). Im assuming this is a simple tire change out, no need for different rims or tubes...

syadasti

Wet Rag
Well TFB (MI) has decent prices too and good service and its only 2days ground vs. 4 for Jenson(CA) so you might as well save some cash.

With large tires (I don't know the true size of those WTBs but I am guess they are smaller than 2.3 single ply XC tires) the worst that can happen is if you have really skinny XC rims is the tire profile will be less ideal as the tire will balloon. As far as tubes go thinner/smaller XC tubes can be used even in DH its just that pinchflat resistance is reduced so you may have to run higher pressures to prevent it.

Last edited:

B737

i bagged the online thing...

I ended up bringing my bike to J at Brick Bikes this afternoon, since its been misbehaving while shifting lately... and its going to be a while before the trails clear up...

J was able to order the 2.3 WTB tires, and Ergon grips for me.

It was my first experience at Brick Bikes, J is a great guy, very personable, helpful, i just got a good feeling from his shop.

E

ecoast

Excellent. Thanks for taking one for the economy.

I'm sure they were competetive on price?

syadasti

Wet Rag
Jenson and Tree Fort Bikes are real LBS and have storefronts too. Only difference between them and another LBS is they have a more successful business model.

Frank

Sasquatch
It was my first experience at Brick Bikes, J is a great guy, very personable, helpful, i just got a good feeling from his shop.

Jason is awesome. He's just 'round the block from me but I always spend hours hangin' with him. Great guy.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i bagged the online thing...

I ended up bringing my bike to J at Brick Bikes this afternoon, since its been misbehaving while shifting lately... and its going to be a while before the trails clear up...

J was able to order the 2.3 WTB tires, and Ergon grips for me.

Jason is a good peep fer sure..

Last edited:

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Jenson and Tree Fort Bikes are real LBS and have storefronts too. Only difference between them and another LBS is they have a more successful business model.
I was out in Denver and stopped in the performance bike shop out there they also do mail order it was nice to see that there are real people behind the web site...

don

I know Bath Cycle aka Bikeman is - I drove by the shop years ago. And I am pretty sure Speedgoat is too. The nice thing about both those shops is they are in ME and PA so if they have something in stock, chances are you will get it within a day or 2.

That being said, it's really great to give a true local bike shop the business.

syadasti

Wet Rag

The thing is very few (at least in Monmouth County) provide any real value other than for complete novices. One has a cool mechanic/rider to chat with but nothing much else.

They need to serve their customers to earn business, not themselves. I've paid to have a wheelset rebuilt at the last one I really liked and they built it up with the wrong rim and would do nothing other than offer to give me a discount on the next item I got. I never gave them anymore business after that (part of the problem was also that their good mechanic had moved on to another store). Customers should not pay for their mistakes especially on an expensive specialty item.

With mid to high-end specialty parts most LBS around here having nothing in-stock so you are not even getting the value of seeing the item in person or convenience in patronage. There really is no value.

I've recently started using a shop up North for some big purchases rather than online and am so far pretty impressed but there are few services I need from LBS other than ordering parts and its pretty hard to drive over a half hour (that's without traffic). They happen to have a substantial online business so their prices and selection are the value for me.

BiknBen

I was out in Denver and stopped in the performance bike shop out there they also do mail order it was nice to see that there are real people behind the web site...

You realize that the Performance stores have nearly nothing to do with the On-line site, right? There is a Performance store in PA that I have gone to. I've also been in one in the Northeast somewhere. The logos and letterhead are the same. But trust me, it is independently owned and operated. I'd compare it to McDonald's. All of the stores get their product from the same place and sell at a set price.

ebarker9

I know Bath Cycle aka Bikeman is - I drove by the shop years ago. And I am pretty sure Speedgoat is too. The nice thing about both those shops is they are in ME and PA so if they have something in stock, chances are you will get it within a day or 2.

Speedgoat is great, unless your shipment is delayed a day because FedEx diverts it through Ohio en-route to NJ.

Mar 18, 2009 8:34 AM
Departed FedEx location
GROVE CITY, OH
Mar 18, 2009 4:24 AM
Arrived at FedEx location
GROVE CITY, OH
Mar 17, 2009 9:43 PM
Left FedEx origin facility
HUNKER, PA
Mar 17, 2009 7:26 PM
Arrived at FedEx location
HUNKER, PA
Mar 17, 2009 5:32 PM
Picked up
HUNKER, PA
Mar 17, 2009 2:20 PM

WTF?

southernerinnj

I've actually had a fedex package go from Miami Florida to Newark NJ to St. Louis MO, to Philly, then to me in Princeton. They told me it was the most efficient way to get my package to me. I laughed very hard at them.

Top Bottom