Recommended Long Routes for Non-MTB

scappati

Fairly new to biking and have a hybrid (Specialized Roll).
As I expand my exploration and aim to increase my mileage, I am hopeful to make Allaire part of my routine.
I am curious from the resident experts if:
(1) a hybrid bike (without suspension) will suffice for longer routes in this park,
and if yes,
(2) which routes might cross the 10 mile mark AND be suitable for such a bike.

I experimented with a few of the park's many routes but felt a bit out of my league with the thin trails down steep drops with numerous tree roots.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
what is that connection trail to allaire from the east? some combo of that an the easier trails
to build miles.

Then upgrade! (hint: you will, and it will make you happy!)

TimBay

If you want a fairly inexpensive upgrade, you can try some better tires (talk to a specialized dealer near you as they'll know what will fit that bike best). Also look into tire pressure. You likely cant go tubeless on your wheels, so you can't go too low, but you don't want to have them inflated to the max either. Then, once you realize how cool riding in the woods is, you'll buy a mountain bike. For that, you're looking at around $1500 minimum for a capable hardtail, just to give you perspective.

JonF

A single Manasquan resevoir loop is 5mi complete and its an easy gravel path. A couple laps there would easily suit your needs. You'll struggle to do 10+mi at allaire without a ton of mindless repetition or encountering lots of sand and roots.

BCurry

You should be fine riding orange, blue and white trails on a hybrid style bike. If you go orang clockwise and then counterclockwise that will net close to 9 miles adding blue and white should yield close to 5 more.

Eventually you will probably want to get a proper mtb as you may feel a little beat up on a hybrid, and may want to explore some of the side trails.

I would suggest using a trail map or gps as it can be easy to get turned around in there.

Fairly new to biking and have a hybrid (Specialized Roll).
As I expand my exploration and aim to increase my mileage, I am hopeful to make Allaire part of my routine.
I am curious from the resident experts if:
(1) a hybrid bike (without suspension) will suffice for longer routes in this park,
and if yes,
(2) which routes might cross the 10 mile mark AND be suitable for such a bike.

I experimented with a few of the park's many routes but felt a bit out of my league with the thin trails down steep drops with numerous tree roots.

Back in the day, 20 years ago, I rode my Fisher Nirvana hybrid there. Threw some mountain bike tires on it. I survived. But back then, we didn't know any better.???. I still see guys out there with rigid and cycle crosses. I don't know how they do it in this age of full suspension. I guess they're just "Pureists".

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions