Recommendations for travel case/bag

DargSide

Hey all, I recently just got a new job that involves a lot of traveling, and am looking to maybe bring the mtb along the way if i happen to be going somewhere cool. Just checked with my normal airline (delta) and found out that as long as it doesn't exceed 115 dimensional inches, only a checked bag fee is applied. So I have a few questions for those that travel with their bikes:

Hard shell or soft shell?
What case did you go with and why?
Any modifications that you made to stuff on the bike to make it easier to pack and unpack?

I'd be flying with my current 150mm rear 160mm front 27.5, but eventually plan on buying a 29er in the 130-140mm range. I'm relatively good with a wrench so extra dissassembly for the sake of protection isn't too much of a worry for me. but would rather not have to take the fork off

I've looked at some so far, with a lot of reviews pointing towards the evoc bike bags, but wouldn't mind added protection from a hard shell case

Turbotrix

I went with the Post Carry "Transfer 150" soft case based on recommendations I found on this forum. I'm happy with it overall. It's lightweight, folds down pretty small and it gives you a few options to drag or carry it. I did get charged the bike bag fee last time I traveled. The agent said "it's clearly a bike so I need to charge you accordingly"

My Mach 5.5 and everything I need fits in the bag. It's relatively narrow compared to others so the boost-spacing rims made it bulge out in the middle. It was more of a concern than an issue.

IMG_1086.JPG

IMG_1105.JPG

krink

Eddie Munster
Its more expensive than most, but the Buxum Box Ventoux MTB is nice. Its an aluminum hard case. Ive taken my bike internationally as well as out west with it with no problems. You remove the handlebars, pedals and seat (and wheels obv). Breakdown 15 min. It rolls nice on steerable casters in the airport and had to pay oversized fee going to AZ but was free as bag to UK so airlines are variable with their rules. Also have shipped it by BikeFlights no problem.
https://buxumbox.com/product/ventoux-mountain/

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'll second the Post Carry. I'm probably the one who posted about it in the other thread.

I would recommend the 150l over the 130l.

Both are oversized so at that point not with saving much going with the smaller one, and the larger size fits a frame better. 29" wheels won't fit with the tires in the 135 but will in the 150l

Top Bottom