Recommendations for an entry level dSLR

gtluke

The Moped
I would probably get the Evo - always thought they were mad cool and big bang for the buck. What does that say about my camera personality?

Buy the Nikon

for whatever reason this is a huge divide in the subaru/evo nikon/canon community down those lines.

It comes down to how much you weigh performance, cute features, rawness, and benchmarks.

kush

Don't go outside the big two. Buy either Canon or Nikon. Anything else is not as scalable.

Stocky

I made a living as a photographer for 10+ years, I have owned most lenses from both Nikon and Canon at some point (as well as Hasselblads and Leica's)
16mm up to and including the Canon 600mm . I shot pro sports for years as well as high end weddings and other fun stuff.

You're not going to have the opportunity to "test drive" either a Nikon or Canon long enough to make a fair descision. That being said ( and it's been stated by a few people here already ) . It's more about understanding the tool your using, learn the camera inside and out.
Next is the quality of the lens. Any kit lens is a piece of crap. The longer the zoom the more plastic inside the lens. That means the light is bouncing off all of those elements made of plastic. This is not a good thing !
Yes , a kit is a great way to get started, but you're really getting cheap stuff in a kit. Consider buying a body , and possibly a body that is a step above the kit body.Entry level is always going to be poor quality and will always have that cheap feel to it .
Look at one that comes with a metal body to lens mount not a plastic one. The same goes for the better quality lenes. They have metal mounts not plastic.
If you buy a cheap lens, don't put a UV filter on it, you just putting plastic on top of plastic. When you spend money on a good lens , then you get a quality glass filter for $100 to protect your investment.

I'm also not really a big fan if the image stabilaztion lenses. I believe it's really just a way to jack up the price and that it doesn't really do what it supposed to do. With time you will learn to properly hold the camera and control your breathing if and when you need to take ahand held picture at 1/15 of a second. Not to many people have a need for this.

Hold the camera in your hand, try to get a feel for the buttons , display and the ease of use of the common features you'll utilize. I highly doubt you would hate either a Nikon or Canon, but everyone has an opinion. Mine is go with what feels right, but spend as much as you can and consider buying the items not as a kit but as individual pieces. You will spend more , but get better stuff.

You can't get everything all at once, I'm a little out of the loop on the amatuer models, but consider starting out with a descent body and a quality 28-70 type of lens.With time you can add to you lens collection.

Enjoy you're search for a camera, take your time....

back in the day canon 600mm lens EOS- 1N ,both shot on Fujichrome 50
( slide film)
S12_1.jpg

S5_1.jpg

Shot with a 70-200 2.8 lens w/EOS-1D ( Digital )
Otiel Burbridge , bass player for the Allman Brothers
_W4A3213_1.jpg

Gregg and Dickey Shot on Fuji 800 approx 1/30 sec at 2.8
P29_1.jpg

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
Shutterbug Advice

My pentax broke, after our labor day trip to Montreal and Lake George. It was just a point and shoot, and was great in daylight but no good indoors. On a bike ride a woman had a Nikon and I decided to pick one up since it has always been a top name in Photography as long as I can remember and I even had a sibling that attended N.Y.U. film school. Somewhere at my dad's house still sits the Rolleiflex tlr 120/220.

So I bought the nikon 10 megapixel point and shoot off of Amazon. When it arrived, after charging up the proprietary battery, I tried to take a picture and the error I go was "cannot save to disk". It was in the evening, and possibly on the week end I telephoned an 800 number and got some one from Nikon customer care and told me there was nothing I could do, except return the camera in exchange for a refund and or exchange. I opted for refund, since maybe the distributor had a whole lot of defective product. In hind sight, I was thinking that maybe I should have used a brand new SD Sand Disk card, rather than one that has been used in another camera and/or mp3 player.

That being said I wanted to get a new camera, that was an established "camera" company. Not to bash "cannon" I am sure they make some fine cameras, but I always associated cannon with copiers and faxes. I ended up with "Kodak", even though I had encountered there "Picto-Bridge", software and did not like it. So I purchased the Kodak anyway at K-Mart which weighed in at 7.5 mega pixel, point and shoot. It has some nice features, but a recent "multi-family/portrait/snapshot" we took at the lobby of Izod Center indoor, the lighting was okay, but the picture was some what pixilated.

This type of photo-opportunity might have well been served with a SLR. With the point and shoot, you have to take a lot of pictures and often to get "a keeper". The upside is that it's easier to pack on activities than the bulky SLR. On a recent MTB ride in Deer Park Allamuchy some one left their camera in the parking lot at the end of the ride. (recently someone else lost a gps there too). Anyway good luck with your new camera!

Stocky

jkmacman, not to give ya a hard time , but Kodak is/was know for film NOT cameras.
Cannon and Nikon are the brands to go with and like I said earlier either will take a great picture and both are the standards in SLR cameras.

Top Bottom