Recommend tire studs

qclabrat

As title says, I've never used them before but I'd like to try them this winter. Are there different studs for specific purposes? I've seen concave and pointy types

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Not sure if you’ve decided on studs but, for some comparison, I have ridden both Nokian 29’er studded tires and made my own fatbike studded tires using 7/16” screws into Specialized Greound control 4.6”. On the latter, I snipped off the pointy tips once the screws were set in the lugs. A friend of mine has Vee Rubber 4.8” studded tires. As ghetto as my home made ones are, I find them much grippier on ice albeit noisier. I find the only studs that really matter are the ones down the center. The rest don’t do much good once you lean the tires.
This is today in the Catskills. Ice was everywhere, wide swaths if it. My friend (first pic) did ok on the ice but not with as much confidence as I had on my home made ones.

To answer your question, I’d recommend studs with pointy ends.

64A653C0-E4AF-4B01-B2CC-3B1227A42CB1.jpeg

0BD05D22-961B-4200-A1BF-918055CE4767.jpeg

alex_k

1) lead manufacturers claim that concave studs are supposed to stay sharp longer so these days most "pointy" studs are cheap with steel body
2) homemade studded tires maybe work better on pure ice but very slow
3) narrow tires (2.1-2.3) with studs much faster and more fun to ride on ice
4) agree with the previous post, you really need only central studs unless you want to ride 6 Mile Run in very icy conditions

Top Bottom