Recommend me a Wheelset....

Mike679

Need to replace my wheelset in the near future - going on six years of use and abuse and regularly breaking spokes and truing. What I have currently is whatever OEM Mavic wheelset came on the bike when I got it ('06 Stumpy FSR). No UST necessary, but they gotta hold up (I'm 6'2, 190-ish) as I generally ride the northern parks. I don't race, so weight is not so much a factor.

Oh yeah, looking for something on the more affordable side, maybe $250 - $300. Would go higher, but I'm due for a new fork as well. I know - why not just get a new bike while I'm at it...

Any thoughts?

Need to replace my wheelset in the near future - going on six years of use and abuse and regularly breaking spokes and truing. What I have currently is whatever OEM Mavic wheelset came on the bike when I got it ('06 Stumpy FSR). No UST necessary, but they gotta hold up (I'm 6'2, 190-ish) as I generally ride the northern parks. I don't race, so weight is not so much a factor.

Oh yeah, looking for something on the more affordable side, maybe $250 - $300. Would go higher, but I'm due for a new fork as well. I know - why not just get a new bike while I'm at it...

Any thoughts?

Good luck. One thought. ;)
Go on ebay and look at some used rims.
I bought brand new rims but I payed just a little more for my rims. = )

man, if you could bump to $500 on the price you could get into a set of Hope Pro 2s, Mavic TN 719 (wait, 29er or no?) and DT spokes. If you don't care about tubeless you can get away with a bit cheaper.

BUT, i think you can do a really solid wheel set with XT hubs. hopefully mattyb will chime in. i think he's either built them or had them build for around your price point.

Chad at http://redbarnbicycles.com/ xts/355s to light for you so you can ask for arches/flows. I just put together a misfit for a local who picked up an ebay deal new on novatech/p35 rims which can run tubeless. If you find good deals on hubs and rims I can slap together the wheels for you. Just let me know whatcha got and I can calculate spokes for you....

Chad at http://redbarnbicycles.com/ xts/355s to light for you so you can ask for arches/flows. I just put together a misfit for a local who picked up an ebay deal new on novatech/p35 rims which can run tubeless. If you find good deals on hubs and rims I can slap together the wheels for you. Just let me know whatcha got and I can calculate spokes for you....

Thanks for the response - Yeah, I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'm still a ways off from dropping $$$ on this, but figured I'd start the research going.

man, if you could bump to $500 on the price you could get into a set of Hope Pro 2s, Mavic TN 719 (wait, 29er or no?) and DT spokes. If you don't care about tubeless you can get away with a bit cheaper.

BUT, i think you can do a really solid wheel set with XT hubs. hopefully mattyb will chime in. i think he's either built them or had them build for around your price point.

No 29er, though I find the idea of putting a 650B on the front rather compelling....

Anywhey, I figured $500 being the magic number as far as bang for the buck were it not for my fork nearing the end of its effective function (stanchions are worn - still holding oil, though). Probably need a new stem and bars while I'm at it. Oh yeah, my saddle sucks too and I want one of those Rock Shox dropper posts and I think my brakes are shot and I need new shoes.

Really, all indications point to just scrapping this bike and going new, but after buying a new (albeit modest) road bike this past winter, that shit ain't happening, so I'm slowly getting the bike I have (which I still like, actually) back in shape.

Back
Top Bottom