Reba 29er Suspension Fork

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I know a few people on here (Sean, Brett) have the Reba on their 29ers. Do you guys, and anyone else for that matter, have any feedback on it? Do you run the Reba Race or the SL? Any reason not to go with this over the Fox? The price difference is really large between the 2 and the weights are the same. The Fox gets great reviews but the Reba gets pretty solid reviews as well.

xc62701

My roommate has the Reba SL on his fisher rig and I really like it but the one thing that weirds me out is the flex on it. I was at hartshorne a couple of weeks back and while carrying speed I had to grab some front brake while turning and the flex was a little spooky. I guess the torsional load caused it to flex and I've heard about this happening but didn't notice it before. Seems pretty stable most of the time though. I just got my fox fork on my fisher rig and I'll have some reviews in soon I hope. :D

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i think there are more than a couple of things at play with the fox/reba debate:

1. the offset of the fox
2. the poploc action of the reba
3. the weight of the rider
4. brand loyalty

generally speaking, the "research" that i've done leads me to believe that based on my weight the fox would be a better fork. the fox is supposedly a tick or two stiffer than the reba, which, again based on my research, folks in the lower clyde regions and upper "normal" weight regions, deem a bit "noodly".

i did ride a reba sl and didn't notice anything but that was over a year ago and my first go on a 29er. oh, and i haven't ridden a suspended bike but three times in the last year so you can pretty much toss that observation right out.

but that said, i never had an even a little issue with the reba SL on my trek. that thing always worked perfectly.

i don't know which i'd buy though. i think i'd do all i could to ride each one back to back on the same trails to see which felt better. i guess that's my answer.

brett hates them both, btw. :D

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I am thinking that if I didn't ride a Lefty I would be on a fox for sure

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
speaking of leftys...

j, how hard would it be to convert a mary for use with a lefty? is it even worth the trouble?

jdog

Shop Keep
It can certainly be done.

I won't do it nor would I recommend it to anyone who likes their teeth.

Most bikes are not built to take the force a dual crown can put on a bike.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was just talking to Walter about this offline. If I weighed 160 pounds, maybe. But I don't. And if I'm trying to go as fast as possible, that could be ugly.

walter

Fourth Party
I was just talking to Walter about this offline. If I weighed 160 pounds, maybe. But I don't. And if I'm trying to go as fast as possible, that could be ugly.

Its almost creepy that Jdog and I both mentioned loosing your teeth.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
If I end up with a 29er one of these days, it'll start life rigid, but if it turns out that front squish was to become an option, I'd be looking at Fox.

The Float 100 I had on my Racer X is the best suspension fork I've used so far.

xc62701

I'm keeping an open mind...but I love Fox. They have been awesome to me. I've got 3 of their forks. F100RLT, F100RL, and the F29'er.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I liked the Fox on my FS bike but it gave me a little over 1 year of service then broke to the point that Cycle Works cannot fix it at this time. So I'm not quite as fond of it as you guys even though I did like it while it lasted. It may need to be sent back to Fox, or it may need a voodoo spell.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
don't buy a reba unless you're strapped for cash, the flex and twist are annoying to say the least. get a fox or white brothers.

ArmyOfNone

If I end up with a 29er one of these days, it'll start life rigid, but if it turns out that front squish was to become an option, I'd be looking at Fox.

The Float 100 I had on my Racer X is the best suspension fork I've used so far.

Foreshadowing?

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
don't buy a reba unless you're strapped for cash, the flex and twist are annoying to say the least. get a fox or white brothers.

you're getting a lot of that, huh? damn. you and i are about the same weight, no? well, at least i don't have to cross that road for another year. at the earliest.

norm, i think you have your answer. buck up and be happy.

jdog

Shop Keep
Manitou fell off the map but they had a 29er fork that I rode in vegas that worked pretty well.

It had a thru axle which made sense at the time. I have not heard about it much since.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Norm - Search MTBR and you'll find a dude who did a great review of 4 29er forks -- prior to the Fox being released. I don't even have a 29er and found it a great indepth read.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
If I were buying new right now, I'd skip the Reba. I liked mine at 80mm on my old Paragon, but at 100mm on my Intense it's terribly flexy and imprecise.

I'd love to score a Fox, or the aforementioned Manitou with thru-axle. I was very unimpressed with the WB 130 (air) fork I rode on a friend's Rip 9. Nice and stiff, but the damping was terrible.

Edit- I'd love for my next fork to be the rumored Fox F29 120mm for 2009...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=381575

Last edited:

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
DO NOT BUY A REBA!! If you would like to hand me a few hundred dollars while i dump a bucket of chum over your head, it would be the same result for you but much better for me.I don't know how the piece of crap got put into production.Fox first then the manitou then ridgid.I am getting the F29 as soon as possible cause once the snow melts that Reba is gonna kick the crap outta me

Top Bottom