Rear Wheel Tilt

monteverest

I just noticed my rear wheel is out of line with the bike, skews a bit to the left (away from drive side for us technophobes). Should I just take the wheel to be dished or could it could be caused by going from a 3x9 & long cage RD to a 2x9 & medium cage RD? Is the med cage so short that it's pulling on the tilt? If so, is there anything I can do other than replace the RD?

Last edited:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
The dish has nothing to do with the der. Take it you you lbs and have them re-dish it. Chances are good though that there is no prep on the spokes and that it may just come out again.

The Rose

The deraileur wouldnt have anything to do with the wheel being out. Is the wheel cocked in the dropouts? Somrtimes if the QR is over tightened it will shift the wheel as well. If its not either of those things, wheel dish would be the only other thing I can think of.

doofus

Might also want to have the shop check the alignment of your rear dropouts.
If it's torqued, they can usually re-align it if it's a steel frame.
Not sure about Al.
Doofus

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This thread is no longer relavent as Monte's bike exploded yesterday at JH!

monteverest

he he, i got the wheel dished and it performed fine. i was warned by the shop (town cycle) that the rear D was bent. unfortunately i didn't heed their warning and decided to ride until the something happened. lo and behold, the rear D literally exploded on a switchback! now i'm thinking of quitting mtbiking for the summer and give kayaking a good try.

This thread is no longer relavent as Monte's bike exploded yesterday at JH!

Top Bottom