Rear Shock Upgrade

Dingo

I'm considering replacing the OEM fox with dpx2. Will the valving need to be tuned for my application, or one tune fits all? Contacted Pivot and they said to contact fox, of course no reply from them. Push doesn't do Fox rear shocks any longer. Main reason I'm looking to replace, is the rebound is all the way open, and it's still slow. Been like this since new.

ebarker9

What's the OEM fox shock? Lots of places that will do a custom rebound tune if that's what's required.

If you enter the 4 digit product code from your OEM shock, what does the Fox site say?

Dingo

No idea what tune is in it.

Part number: 972-03-070
Short ID: C6QS
Description: 2017, FLOAT DPS, F-S, K, 3pos-Adj SV, Pivot, Mach 429C Trail, 7.25, 1.75, 0.2 Spacer, CM, RM, Climb L, No Logo

ebarker9

So that looks like a medium compression and medium rebound tune (CM RM). I'm not familiar with how the standard tune for a DPX2 compares with those settings on the Float. I'd still probably recommend having the shock serviced by one of the places that would be able to do a custom rebound tune, if necessary.

ebarker9

Think it's just referencing a 0.2" volume spacer which would add to the progression of the air spring.

Dingo

Oh, ok it now has the 2nd largest spacer. It was bottoming out with the stock spacer.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
This is largely anecdotal, but I recall one of the suspension gurus mentioning that the DPS has more "pop" than the DPX for short/mid-travel applications.

If that's the case, it may be worth looking into tuning your current shock, rather than changing it out.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dave-You have the V1 429 Trail as do I. I wanted to upgrade the shock as well. Reached out to Pivot and was told that the DPX2 will not fit, only works on the V2. I didn't question the reasons. A friend ,who sold his, got the same response. You may want to talk to someone in the tech dept there before drooping the $$$.

Dingo

Dave-You have the V1 429 Trail as do I. I wanted to upgrade the shock as well. Reached out to Pivot and was told that the DPX2 will not fit, only works on the V2. I didn't question the reasons. A friend ,who sold his, got the same response. You may want to talk to someone in the tech dept there before drooping the $$$.
I did contact Pivot. They replied....
Thanks for reaching out and riding Pivot!
The DPX2 would be a great shock option on the Mach 429 Trail. The eye-to-eye and stroke length are 7.25” and 1.75” respectively.
We do not sell shocks individually, but if you reach out to Fox and let them know the DPX2 is for the Mach 429 Trail they should be able to get it tuned correctly.

I did mention it's a 2017. I wonder if the EVOL can is the problem where the linkage may hit on full compression.
Thanks for the info, I will double check.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Send shock to avalanche downhill racing . Also remove shock and make sure everything moves ridiculously easy because the best shock tune won't do crap if theres any added friction in the suspension movement.

Dingo

@Kirt
You are correct, Pivot replied...
Our apologies, they are correct the DPX2 is only compatible with the Trail 429 not the Mach 429 Trail as on the Mach 429 Trail the additional oil reservoir will contact the frame and link.

If you’re looking to run another brand of shock, the Mach 429 Trail shock uses M8 through bolt hardware on both the front and rear. Shock spacer dimensions are 22mm wide front and rear. The standard FOX shock runs their small volume EVOL can. For other brands of air shocks, this would typically be a standard size air can volume. Most higher volume air cans (FOX EVOL or otherwise) will not clear the rocker (nor would they provide for an optimal spring curve). We typically run light to medium valving on the compression side (depending on rider weight) and medium rebound damping.

Thanks Kirt, that really would have sucked, you saved me a bunch of aggrevation ! Has anyone riden the Avalanche modified SSD Modification and HSB Adjustment System ?

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have a spare rear shock if you want to see if yours is just broken. 2016 429 trail
20201122_164641.jpg
20201122_164633.jpg

Last edited:

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Has anyone riden the Avalanche modified SSD Modification and HSB Adjustment System ?
Yup its amazing , firm slow speed compression that gives great pedal platform or berm slapping support but seamlessly blows off and is plush on any high speed movements from roots square edge hits .
20201203_181720.jpg

Top Bottom