Rays? NJ? WTF?

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
I went to college in Newark and had my car broken in just twice. But it was my fault. I was dumb enough to park it off campus. Anyway, it would be cool to have Ray's there. Hope it comes true.

Thin Diesel

Question for those who have been there...

Indeed this would be an interesting development for NJ. For those who have been there, how wide of an age group goes to Ray's? I mean, is it mostly young kids on BMX bikes? How about the balance between MTB/BMX bikers? I'm going to be in the Milwaukee area next month and have considered checking it out. However, I'm a little unsettled about being like 25+ years olders than most of the other customers there.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Lots of kids, many more big kids (Adults). I think it would be similar in NJ. So many of the biers I know are older. :getsome:

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
Cleavo has been over run by kids, its not a bad thing, just a demographic profile that works for that business model. And by kids I mean 16-24, fvck!! When did I get old?

MikeP

Cleavo has been over run by kids, its not a bad thing, just a demographic profile that works for that business model. And by kids I mean 16-24, fvck!! When did I get old?

that doesn't sound terrible demo-wise for us older riders. I used to remember driving to Cheapskates and the Shimerville Skate park in the 90's and feeling old as fvck there when I was in my 20's.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
that doesn't sound terrible demo-wise for us older riders. I used to remember driving to Cheapskates and the Shimerville Skate park in the 90's and feeling old as fvck there when I was in my 20's.

Its not a bad thing Mike. Most of the kids are respectful and down rite talented on a bike. The over-all vibe is really positive and I hope this is carried over in Newark.(if it happens)

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
A guy from nycMTB called Ray's and this was their response:

I called Ray's.
They say there is no consderation for new locations atm.

"We have our hands full with the two locations as it is"

SS_Dave

Last sentence of an article in Dirtrag about Ray's says there are rumors of a Rays location in NY or NJ

BABOYTOY

I'm 47 years young and hit Ray's 3 times a year. It has a great mix of riders and it will get your game up for sure.

Indeed this would be an interesting development for NJ. For those who have been there, how wide of an age group goes to Ray's? I mean, is it mostly young kids on BMX bikes? How about the balance between MTB/BMX bikers? I'm going to be in the Milwaukee area next month and have considered checking it out. However, I'm a little unsettled about being like 25+ years olders than most of the other customers there.

aedubber

Looks like a cool place from the videos i saw.. But seems to be more BMX friendly

Last edited:

RonC

ZGOZZ Macman
Do you know how packed that place would be. It would be a good move to open one down here.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Has anyone heard about this park in Syracuse, NY? My friend just sent me this link. Looks just like Ray's except a lot closer and is supposed to open soon:
http://www.cranx.com/

MikeP

Its not a bad thing Mike. Most of the kids are respectful and down rite talented on a bike. The over-all vibe is really positive and I hope this is carried over in Newark.(if it happens)

don't get me wrong evryone was cool at Cheapskates as long as you weren't a tool and didn't hog ramp time, Ray's would be awesome or even something like Colonnade bike park in Seattle

J-Dro

Has anyone heard about this park in Syracuse, NY? My friend just sent me this link. Looks just like Ray's except a lot closer and is supposed to open soon:
http://www.cranx.com/

Yeah I read about this place a few weeks ago. I started to worry a little bit when I read their plan for spin classes and an indoor golf range, but I'll reserve judgement until they open and hope for the best.

From a business standpoint, I think they are smart to incorporate an outdoor section so they can be more of a year round operation.

This would cut a couple of hours off a trip to Cleveland.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
^ That is also good news! I just wish one was open now bc winter is coming!

MikeP

http://libertybikepark.com/

This is all I have to ad. I contacted liberty bike park about more info and they responded telling me they are in the beginning stages.

This would be awesome, if it doesn't fall apart like Xanadau in NNJ. I only live 20 minutes from Philly, would be nice to be able to ride inside when the weather is bad maybe combo it up coming back from riding at Blue Mtn (snow). Kinda brings me back to when I was younger and we'd do snowboard/surf or snowboard/skate combo days. Me and one friend Brian kept trying to work out the logistics of all 3 in the same day.

Top Bottom