Ray's is fun

don

Got out to OH last night and headed over to Ray's for some riding. I haven't really ridden in a month so I was a bit sketchy. And today my arms, legs and back are sore from being tired.

The place is a blast for all levels and types of riders. I was out here in March '06 and he's added a bunch more stuff and changed the flow to work out a bit better. There is so much to ride - small, med, and large boxes; skatepark section; beg, inter, expert skinnies; pump track; rock sections; log rides; even an XC loop.

Best of all, the place has a very good vibe to it. All levels and ages of riders on 26", 24" and 20" bikes and no attitudes from anyone - everyone was stoked to ride. There were a handful of girls ripping too - which was really cool to see - a couple of them were getting thru the small box rhythym better than a lot of the boys.

Some locals said that the weekends get pretty packed but it seems the way it is setup it can hold a lot of people smoothly - not like the mob scene at Incline Club on a weekend (i.e. Snake Fest).

I didn't know a person but met up w/ a few cool riders and got some grub and microbrews with them at a very cool nearby bar after the park closed. I'll be heading over there again tonight - maybe with a stop at Chenga on the way.

Definitely worth a trip out to beat those winter blues and get some work on the bike skills.

don

Got back today from OH and can barely walk or move because my body is so spent. Every part hurts - feet, calfs, arms, back

The highlight of last night was meeting Taj and Aaron Ross who came in to ride for Giant in the B.I.K.E. contest going this weekend. They were getting used to the 26" STP's coming from riding BMX bikes. I've been amazed by their vid parts in years past so to see them in person was pretty sweet. They're both so good on a bike it's not funny. Watching Aaron tailwhip the hip, 180 off the smaller box tables and getting all whipped around on the medium rhytyhm section was amazing. Taj's 3's on the big box was so clean and his wallrides and just solid flow was cool to watch.

Making it even better is that these guys had no atittude, were real friendly and just love to ride their bikes.

One more thing to mention - I used the hockey bag trick to get my bike out there. No problem from EWR but today the lady in CLE was giving me some trouble saying it was oversized and wanted to charge me $100. I'm guessing they get a bunch of people trying to sneak bikes out of that airport so they have a heads up on it. The rentals are really nice so if you aren't super picky on the bike your want to ride, I'd say just use one of them.

TommyCrash

I'm so jealous! A friend hooked me up with a link to their site and I was amazed at the whole thing. It looks big in pictures and their vids. Guessing from the size of the warehouses they're building in the area (NJ), something like that must be totally amazing under a roof. Post some pics! Wish I was there! Lucky Dog!:drooling:

BiknBen

I wish I knew how to ride that type of terrain a little better. I could handle it but I'm not much for getting air under my tires.

It looks like a cool place. I just can't decide if it would be worth the trip for me. :confused:

I briefly considered taking my daughter out there for the girls weekend. Already had stuff on the calendar for that weekend though.

don

sweet, who won the BIKE game?

The prelims are going on today. Finals are Saturday at 6. From the sounds of it, Ray didn't want to close the park down for 2 days just for the contest. Seems like it was a smart move so people can still ride for most of the weekend (Fri nite, Sat and Sunday).

You should see and read more up to date info on Match:

http://www.matchvideozine.com/V2/

don

Did you go to Cleveland just for Ray's or business/family and ride whilst there?

Just for Ray's. Last time I drove (8-9 hours) but this time I flew which shaved 3-4 hours off the trip including transportation from the airport to the hotel. Once you get there everything is pretty close.

It's a long trip for us in NJ but is worth a checkout at least once over the winter. If I had a preference, I'd probably go on a Friday, ride Fri nite and Saturday and drive back on Sunday or even Sat night.

don

I wish I knew how to ride that type of terrain a little better. I could handle it but I'm not much for getting air under my tires.

It looks like a cool place. I just can't decide if it would be worth the trip for me. :confused:

I briefly considered taking my daughter out there for the girls weekend. Already had stuff on the calendar for that weekend though.

coursemap.jpg

I think most of the pics of the place are taken of the boxes and the "skatepark" section as they typically show more air. I wouldn't worry about not catching air - I saw quite a few people keeping the rubber on the ground (or wood). Ray's would be the place to learn to get jumps down tho.

Check out the map above - skinny logs and wooden stunts features make up at least half the place if not more. The Beginner room is just that and anyone that can ride XC trails in NJ can ride that room but there is some stuff to keep it interesting and to sharpen balance skills on.

The Mongoose Expert section has a lot of tech skinnies - I didn't ride them this time as I only had my 24" bike. I've done most of it before when I brought my 26" bike and it's really fun. The boxes on that aren't too nutty and I saw a range of people riding them - you can even roll them. They are super fun and have good flow once you figure them out. There's also a couple of transfer lines on them to.

The Moen Sport section was probably the most fun and for all levels of riders. It makes sense, that it seemed to have the most people on it both nights I was there. Even Aaron Ross was having fun on it - granted he was popping t-whips and 180's off the small tables. If you can handle tech mtb trails there is a lot for you to have fun on. I rode a bunch of it w/ my 24" USB and the XC types were running laps on the stuff.

Then there is the Pump track that anyone could ride and is good for a warmup. And of course the XC loop which is pretty cool and gives a tour of the place both on the ground level and from above in the rafters.

Having a "Rays Bike" (term I head from a couple of the locals) helps a bunch and they do rent them there. A "Ray's Bike" is a 26" wheel rig w/ a short suspension fork, semi smooth tires, platform pedals and saddle lowered. It can be used in any part of the park and will be the most fun overall.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I've been out there about a half dozen times and every time was AWESOME!! I spent most of my time in the expert "north shore" section and in the trials park, which is no longer there...I'd like to get out there again at some point...

-Jim.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Just for Ray's. Last time I drove (8-9 hours) but this time I flew which shaved 3-4 hours off the trip including transportation from the airport to the hotel. Once you get there everything is pretty close.

It's a long trip for us in NJ but is worth a checkout at least once over the winter. If I had a preference, I'd probably go on a Friday, ride Fri nite and Saturday and drive back on Sunday or even Sat night.

Jesus. That's a man who likes to bike.

don

Jesus. That's a man who likes to bike.

yeah, just ask my wife. I've been late way too many times for things due to being out riding - haha! And I'm so surprised but happy she's let me build a mini ramp/pump track/DJ setup in the side yard for the kids and me :D

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
I've seen the 20" guys double tail whip 3's over the big box. Easily the most impressive trix i've seen in person. Also saw a 26'er step up from the landing to the biggest drop, that was real nutz. Rays is a very humbling experience, and worth the trip if anyone is curious about cross-stuntry.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
The highlight of last night was meeting Taj and Aaron Ross who came in to ride for Giant in the B.I.K.E. contest going this weekend. They were getting used to the 26" STP's coming from riding BMX bikes. I've been amazed by their vid parts in years past so to see them in person was pretty sweet. They're both so good on a bike it's not funny. Watching Aaron tailwhip the hip, 180 off the smaller box tables and getting all whipped around on the medium rhytyhm section was amazing. Taj's 3's on the big box was so clean and his wallrides and just solid flow was cool to watch.

did i read that correctly? taj mihelic was at rays riding a 26" mtb? :hmmm:

metaldork

i grew up in cleveland and have been timing my yearly trip to visit my parents with when he's open. i was there grand opening which was thanksgiving 05 i think and at least once a year since. it's changed and grown enormously since then. i'm a big believer in ray. even though i only go once a year he always recognizes me and stops to chat whenever i show up. though honestly if my parents didn't leave there i doubt i'd bother with the trip.

anyhoo, check out the video i made of my last trip

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5965866278963617684

don

I've seen the 20" guys double tail whip 3's over the big box. Easily the most impressive trix i've seen in person. Also saw a 26'er step up from the landing to the biggest drop, that was real nutz. Rays is a very humbling experience, and worth the trip if anyone is curious about cross-stuntry.

Was that Doyle on the t-whip 3? He's been known to go there a bunch. Crazy trick for sure.

I tried the landing to smallest drop - not to bad but the landing to the biggest drop involves some serious pop. One of the locals said dudes were fuf'n that drop at one contest :eek:

Ray's is a good experience all around - it makes you realize you need work on some things but also how much fun riding can be in a leaky warehouse.

don

did i read that correctly? taj mihelic was at rays riding a 26" mtb? :hmmm:

yup. He was riding it very well too - I think it was his first time riding 26" wheels at a park.

He's a real cool guy as well. I shot the shit with him a bit - he's very humble and just love to ride bikes. I've been a fan of his since the 90's so it was pretty awesome to meet him in person.

don

i grew up in cleveland and have been timing my yearly trip to visit my parents with when he's open. i was there grand opening which was thanksgiving 05 i think and at least once a year since. it's changed and grown enormously since then. i'm a big believer in ray. even though i only go once a year he always recognizes me and stops to chat whenever i show up. though honestly if my parents didn't leave there i doubt i'd bother with the trip.

anyhoo, check out the video i made of my last trip

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5965866278963617684

Cool vid! A bunch of stuff has been changed from that vid but there is still a lot of that stuff - just moved to different spots. I think it helps the flow with the current setup.

Another thing I just noticed from the vid is how much more you can see during the day there. It's pretty dark in there during the night - some spots are very shadowy.

bikeboy566

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I was just out there in Jan. place is dope as hell! I still kinda like it the way it flowed last year but its still mad cool. Im going to see if i can sneak another trip before the season starts up at the shop.:D

Top Bottom