Ray's Advice

ebarker9

I'm heading out to Ray's on Thursday, driving home on Sunday. Probably ride Fri/Sat.

I haven't been previously and I've been looking through some older info/watched some of the Youtube tours. Anything that I must do in the area? I have a DJ hardtail that I'm bringing so I should be in good shape bike-wise. Just hoping that the body holds up to this kind of riding for two+ days.

Mostly just excited and looking for everyone to reinforce/validate my excitement 😂

Robin

Pace yourself. I usually like to go early/when they open...take a break around lunch time and go back later (it tends to thin out around dinner time).

If the weather is nice, check this out - I didn't find out about it until Sunday when I was leaving (and the weather was nice!). It's apparently 5 miles or so from Ray's.

There is also a small paved pump track at the end of the parking lot of Ray's (in a park).

Not sure where you're staying, but Edgewater and Lakewood have some great eats.

Have fun!

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
1677004716968.gif

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm heading out to Ray's on Thursday, driving home on Sunday. Probably ride Fri/Sat.

I haven't been previously and I've been looking through some older info/watched some of the Youtube tours. Anything that I must do in the area? I have a DJ hardtail that I'm bringing so I should be in good shape bike-wise. Just hoping that the body holds up to this kind of riding for two+ days.

Mostly just excited and looking for everyone to reinforce/validate my excitement 😂
Don't over think it you will have a blast .

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What Ryan and Robin said....

Ride around, explore all the rooms, try everything out, have fun.

Oh if you are staying all weekend....leave your bike there and lock it up.

ebarker9

What Ryan and Robin said....

Ride around, explore all the rooms, try everything out, have fun.

Oh if you are staying all weekend....leave your bike there and lock it up.

Leaving the bike there is good to know. That should be a lot better than dealing with bringing it back and forth to the hotel.

muddybike

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Bring some snacks & electrolytes with you. Drop your gear at a picnic table and grab a drink every time you pass by. Time warps when you are there and before you know it, 4 hours have gone by and you've had nothing to eat or drink the entire time and your legs/body will tell you all about it when it's too late. They have a good food truck for lunch on the weekends (not sure it's open Friday), but I usually don't like to stop for any extended amount of time until i'm totally toast, so I nibble on snacks (fruit, granola bars, nuts & bcaas infused hydration drinks, etc) throughout the day.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Pants. And maybe long-sleeved synthetic shirt vs short-sleeved. Both to protect you and you'll be freezing and sweating. It's a huge place in Ohio that isn't heated well, but you're also moving around getting yourself sweaty.

Ian F

And if you aren't used to it - wear gloves. Most of the surface is plywood. Splinters if you fall is a definite possibility.

ebarker9

Thanks. I always wear gloves and was planning on the riding pants that I normally wear for downhill. Will definitely bring some options in terms of top layers because the temp thing makes sense.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks. I always wear gloves and was planning on the riding pants that I normally wear for downhill. Will definitely bring some options in terms of top layers because the temp thing makes sense.
the only other thing...personal preference for me since I usually only ride dirt jumpers at Rays once a year....I just wear my full face as the wooden floor is hard and I have lost the front end and put my face into it once before. Its pretty cool inside so it doesnt bother me.

Mountain Bike Mike

First - don’t die..

Second - if you hurt yourself, don’t sue and ruin it for everyone else.

Third - go visit the Christmas story house

You say you have a DJ bike, can you ride? Are you a beginner? And when I mean ride, I mean, jump, get air, have style - are you sketchy in the air?

Understanding your skill level could help with the advice we give you…

Top Bottom