Rattling Creek MTB Race - Weiser State Forest and help with Rock Gardens

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
@kiwiscott there’s some great advice above. I’d add that to get some good practice at riding rocks you may want to try a couple of the trails at Jungle. Specifically Boulderdash (essentially one continuous rock garden) and Warthog (a longer, flowier trail that, in the switchbacks, are unrelenting rocks). While there are certainly more technical trails in NJ than these, these two give you a solid dose of constant rocks without major climbing. Since your fitness is not the issue you can use these sections (do em both ways) to focus on the techniques described above.

onetracker

Hi (total MTB NOOB here)

I spent Sunday riding a 50km event in PA - the Rattling Creek MTB Race at Weiser State Forest. As I said above I'm a bit of a noob on MTB and I found the total distance and ride okay from a fitness perspective. I started well but the rock gardens just wore me down to the point where I kept falling and walked anything where I thought I'd hurt myself.

I've got two questions:
- How does one get better at riding rock gardens? I'm worried just practicing them with poor technique doesn't help.
- Are all XC organized races in the area generally going to be that rocky or are there some flowy rides that are less technical?

Perhaps my road riding has ruined me.

And yes - I know I suck. I'm 43, riding my first race and I finished in about 5 hours. The winner was 2.45 hours.
Not to give you a PTSD flashback but here are a couple of photos from earlier today. 4 days of camping and singletrack bliss; social distancing was super easy since I think I had the place to myself!!
944E6781-3F38-4CAC-94AD-1AC47ACBBEE7.jpeg
4D115AEE-5788-4C03-87EB-39827770CA96.jpeg
1AD6E5BA-A5D2-4508-9DD4-9DEB02FC59DA.jpeg
C827CF39-815A-4388-AD5D-DEC6062F97C2.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom