Rattling Creek MTB Race - Weiser State Forest and help with Rock Gardens

kiwiscott

Hi (total MTB NOOB here)

I spent Sunday riding a 50km event in PA - the Rattling Creek MTB Race at Weiser State Forest. As I said above I'm a bit of a noob on MTB and I found the total distance and ride okay from a fitness perspective. I started well but the rock gardens just wore me down to the point where I kept falling and walked anything where I thought I'd hurt myself.

I've got two questions:
- How does one get better at riding rock gardens? I'm worried just practicing them with poor technique doesn't help.
- Are all XC organized races in the area generally going to be that rocky or are there some flowy rides that are less technical?

Perhaps my road riding has ruined me.

And yes - I know I suck. I'm 43, riding my first race and I finished in about 5 hours. The winner was 2.45 hours.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Riding more rocks will make you more bettererer at riding rocks... kidding.. sort of.

Try to find a riding partner or group that has better skills than you and watch the lines they pick.
When you're riding a difficult section, don't be affraid to go back and session it a few times until you get it.

Not all races are equal. A race at Stewart will be totally different than a race at Allamuchy.

Also, that's one hell of a first race... jumping right into the deep end.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Try to find a riding partner or group that has better skills than you and watch the lines they pick.

This helps. But I would also say that if you are a 4 in skills, maybe ride with a 6. Riding with Jeff Lenoksy won't help you.

Fitness is a huge help with technical riding. Fitness smooths out one's lack of form. High-end fitness, specifically. You can work on it, or ride rocks a lot and just push yourself more.

Where do you live?

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
How does one get better at riding rock gardens?

In order of importance (in my very unprofessional opinion):

1. Ride lots of rocky trails.
2. Learn to track stand and practice often.
3. Improve core strength.
4. Ride with people that are better than you.

If you don't have time for any of the above, then just get a fat bike with five inch Minions.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
This helps. But I would also say that if you are a 4 in skills, maybe ride with a 6. Riding with Jeff Lenoksy won't help you.
Yeah, this is what I meant.....

In order of importance (in my very unprofessional opinion):

1. Ride lots of rocky trails.
2. Learn to track stand and practice often.
3. Improve core strength.
4. Ride with people that are better than you.

If you don't have time for any of the above, then just get a fat bike with five inch Minions.
1597762149630.png

JDurk

I've got two questions:
- How does one get better at riding rock gardens? I'm worried just practicing them with poor technique doesn't help.
- Are all XC organized races in the area generally going to be that rocky or are there some flowy rides that are less technical?
Helluva race to be your first. Rattling Creek is brutal when it comes to rocks. I find riding more rocky trails will eventually improve your confidence on rocks. Momentum is your friend. I also find putting the dropper down slightly and hovering over the saddle helps too.

The XC and Endurance races of the MASS series vary greatly from location to location. The PA races are rockier, like French Creek and Bear Creek. SNJ races are pretty flat with short punchy climbs and roots instead of rocks. The races in MD and DE can be a mixture of both.

Edit: SNJ races as in closer to Philly

Last edited:

kiwiscott

Helluva race to be your first. ....

NJ races are pretty flat with short punchy climbs and roots instead of rocks. The races in MD and DE can be a mixture of both.
Thats really what I wanted to hear.

Thanks for all the great replies. I'll just start to get out a bit more of the coming months on the local trails around Ringwood. I'm sure I can find things there to annoy me.

As I get older I tend to do more stupid races so I'm more of a deep end guy really. That does little for the skills portion of riding nor the spped but does give me a longer amount of time away from the family training 😉 :)

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Riding rocks is about the only thing that will make you better considering you stated fitness isn't an issue. The only thing I'll add is get a set of light weight knee and elbow pads. You are going to fall (we all do) and will probably hurt a bit less with the pads on.

JDurk

I'll just start to get out a bit more of the coming months on the local trails around Ringwood. I'm sure I can find things there to annoy me.

Edited my previous post to say SNJ. Ringwood is a great place to practice, I only get to ride there maybe once a year.

onetracker

Hi (total MTB NOOB here)

I spent Sunday riding a 50km event in PA - the Rattling Creek MTB Race at Weiser State Forest. As I said above I'm a bit of a noob on MTB and I found the total distance and ride okay from a fitness perspective. I started well but the rock gardens just wore me down to the point where I kept falling and walked anything where I thought I'd hurt myself.

I've got two questions:

Perhaps my road riding has ruined me.

And yes - I know I suck. I'm 43, riding my first race and I finished in about 5 hours. The winner was 2.45 hours.
Sounds like you had some fun! Alot of great advice in this thread.

You might also consider a clinic (I have been many times; good fun camping and riding bikes) post COVID19 like: https://michauxmtbschool.com/coaches/

or

Coyote Hill (Tom and Gabi are awesome):

BTW-How were conditions at Rattling? Headed out that way to camp and ride later this week fir a few days.

kiwiscott

BTW-How were conditions at Rattling? Headed out that way to camp and ride later this week fir a few days.
Thanks -- training camps seems like a great option. I've actually been emailing Kathi Kruse to get some lessons for my boys so perhaps I could work with her.

Rattling was great. There was a slight bit of rain and some very slippery roots (which I fell on) but overall everything was perfect for riding. Definitely ride and camp there if you can - it really is a nice part of the world.

onetracker

Thanks -- training camps seems like a great option. I've actually been emailing Kathi Kruse to get some lessons for my boys so perhaps I could work with her.

Rattling was great. There was a slight bit of rain and some very slippery roots (which I fell on) but overall everything was perfect for riding. Definitely ride and camp there if you can - it really is a nice part of the world.
Good luck. The camps are cool because it is a good excuse to camp out with some buddies, ride, drink beers and learn some new tricks!

Thanks! I have been riding and racing out there for years. This will be my third trip this season. Last trip, things were growing in a bit. i assume things were trimmed back a bit for the race?

Robson

Thats really what I wanted to hear.

Thanks for all the great replies. I'll just start to get out a bit more of the coming months on the local trails around Ringwood. I'm sure I can find things there to annoy me.

As I get older I tend to do more stupid races so I'm more of a deep end guy really. That does little for the skills portion of riding nor the spped but does give me a longer amount of time away from the family training 😉 :)
Ringwood have a lot of rocks. Great place to ride!

goldsbar

While power is actually very helpful as stated, don't try to over-power through rocks. You'll just waste energy and the bike will jump around. If you can't stay loose, you might be pushing too hard. Works fine on some sections, but you can't be tense the whole race.

Weight transfer (via standing, sinking and other means). You want the bike light on the most technical parts, heavy on the turns and when you need traction on climbs. Even when it's rock after rock, certain parts are more rocky than others. Don't bash through stuff. Lift that front wheel over obstacles as allowing it to hit will just slow you down. Push down on that fork (or tire if rigid) and let the front spring up and over. Other times do a mini-manual or wheelie. Switch it up to stay fresh and you'll learn what works best for each situation.

On the mechanical side, tire pressure is a huge factor in traction and absorbance of the small stuff. Figure out how low you can go w/out burping or trashing your wheels. Dropper post resolves 70% of technique issues if you drop it in the rough stuff. Learn to stand and be loose...to an extant as standing is ultimately inefficient for a 50km race. Heavy feet, light hands.

BTW, most everyone is going to be trashed after a 50km race with rock gardens.

Joe J

While power is actually very helpful as stated, don't try to over-power through rocks. You'll just waste energy and the bike will jump around. If you can't stay loose, you might be pushing too hard. Works fine on some sections, but you can't be tense the whole race.

Weight transfer (via standing, sinking and other means). You want the bike light on the most technical parts, heavy on the turns and when you need traction on climbs. Even when it's rock after rock, certain parts are more rocky than others. Don't bash through stuff. Lift that front wheel over obstacles as allowing it to hit will just slow you down. Push down on that fork (or tire if rigid) and let the front spring up and over. Other times do a mini-manual or wheelie. Switch it up to stay fresh and you'll learn what works best for each situation.

On the mechanical side, tire pressure is a huge factor in traction and absorbance of the small stuff. Figure out how low you can go w/out burping or trashing your wheels. Dropper post resolves 70% of technique issues if you drop it in the rough stuff. Learn to stand and be loose...to an extant as standing is ultimately inefficient for a 50km race. Heavy feet, light hands.

BTW, most everyone is going to be trashed after a 50km race with rock gardens.

All this plus.

Line choice.

When your out riding and come to a rock garden stop and look for what you think is the best line & try it. Then go back and look for another line & try it again & again. Decide which one was best for you. As time goes on you will be able to identify your line without stopping.

Timing.

Learn how to cross logs properly. The timing and bike control will translate to rocks with less risk when you fall. Start small and build up, a competent rider should be able to easily get over a 10-12" log without touching anything but rubber. I'm not talking bunny hopping that looks cool but has little practical use out on the trail. Approach the log with enough speed to carry you over, lift the front wheel so it touches (not slams) the log just below the top, rotate the bars forward and pull up with your feet to lift the rear wheel, amount of lift will depend on size of the log, keep your weight neutral so you can adjust forward or back as needed.

Traction.

Find a steep loose or wet climb that you can't ride but others can concentrate on adjusting position & pressure to keep rear wheel traction. Riding long rock gardens has allot to do with momentum so you will need to pedal, being able to feel the level of traction in your feet will help. Learn to ratchet the pedals sometimes you can't get a full rotation but need momentum.

Great job on your first race thats not an easyone.

goldsbar

lift the front wheel so it touches (not slams) the log just below the top,

I just learned this recently after many years of riding and aiming for the top. Just below the top makes a big difference on certain logs. Gives you just a bit more time and some leverage to pull up the rear.

Joe J

I just learned this recently after many years of riding and aiming for the top. Just below the top makes a big difference on certain logs. Gives you just a bit more time and some leverage to pull up the rear.

It also compresses the front suspension slightly and provides lift as the front of the bike clears the log. When everything is done right the bike will come over and land level or just slightly rear first.

Jerzeejoe

We hit rattling creek too, only did the 30K option since it was our first race.. The rocks were pretty intense, Id like to try and get back up there before winter and hit up that course again!! Good job that first 1.9 miles 🤣🤣

Top Bottom