Rattlesnakes

JerseyPete

If this has been covered in another post, please delete this post.
I saw that @phillychris498 posted a pic of a rattlesnake ( http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/im-happiest-when-biking-at-walking-speed.44849/#post-794900 ) and wanted to suggest that those who see them let the state know. They are endangered and the state wants reports on the numbers.
Link:
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ensp/tmbratlr.htm
There used to be a phone number to call in that I had years ago. Anyone know if it still exists? They also wanted bobcat data too at one point.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is from two years ago, so probably not worth reporting, but I figured this post needs some rattlesnake pics. This was on the red trail coming down from yellow up at Ringwood. More or less the same area Chris just saw one.

1528740704289.jpg

phillychris498

If this has been covered in another post, please delete this post.
I saw that @phillychris498 posted a pic of a rattlesnake ( http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/im-happiest-when-biking-at-walking-speed.44849/#post-794900 ) and wanted to suggest that those who see them let the state know. They are endangered and the state wants reports on the numbers.
Link:
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ensp/tmbratlr.htm
There used to be a phone number to call in that I had years ago. Anyone know if it still exists? They also wanted bobcat data too at one point.
Thanks for letting me know, i’ll complete the form provided on that website once I’m home. I didn’t realize they’re endangered, but given this is my first encounter of one in over 5 years of New Jersey mountain biking it makes sense. Really a beautiful animal.

rick81721

Lothar
Thanks for letting me know, i’ll complete the form provided on that website once I’m home. I didn’t realize they’re endangered, but given this is my first encounter of one in over 5 years of New Jersey mountain biking it makes sense. Really a beautiful animal.

Hard to tell scale but the one you saw/photographed looks pretty big. Hopefully they are coming back

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Endangered for sure hence why the tick populations are at an all time high. They are what kept tick population at low. Growing up at the base of the Appalachian mountain I would see folks kill them including family members at an alarming rate, such a shame.

phillychris498

Hard to tell scale but the one you saw/photographed looks pretty big. Hopefully they are coming back
It was the thickest snake i’ve ever seen by far. I’ve seen black racers all over that are around 4 feet and much skinnier, but that was certainly an adult rattlesnake.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
There’s no reason to kill one of these, they’re amongst the most mild-mannered rattlesnakes in NA. You really need to antagonize when to get it into defensive mode. I see them in Ringwood quite often, just watch out because they blend in perfectly with the leaf litter.

Reason ticks are at an all-time high is because of the deer. The abundance of hawks, owls, foxes, and coyotes have been doing a good job with the smaller vermin. The deer though are dropping ticks off right in our yards.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Some people eat people!

Don't knock it til you've tried it?

I once came upon a group of dudes on the trail out in CA, and they had just killed a rattlesnake with a rock. They were wrapping it around the one dude's camelbak, and they told me they were bringing it home to throw it on the grill. It didn't seem like their first time.

rick81721

Lothar
Don't knock it til you've tried it?

I once came upon a group of dudes on the trail out in CA, and they had just killed a rattlesnake with a rock. They were wrapping it around the one dude's camelbak, and they told me they were bringing it home to throw it on the grill. It didn't seem like their first time.

Yeah I think I've had rattlesnake before - assume it was farm raised if there is such a thing. Just saying shouldn't be killing snakes out in the wild, unless you are starving

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Yeah I think I've had rattlesnake before - assume it was farm raised if there is such a thing. Just saying shouldn't be killing snakes out in the wild, unless you are starving

I've had rattlesnake before, it was ok. Not "holy-shit this is amazing why haven't I tried it before" good, just ok. Most of the rattlesnake you eat is Diamond back I believe. They have these big snake round-ups out west where they have an excess of these things. Gator was also just ok. if I were going to Fossil Farms, I'd rather throw down on a nice Piedmontese steak or Wagyu Ribeye. In my opinion, reptile meat is a little greasy, a little overrated.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There’s no reason to kill one of these, they’re amongst the most mild-mannered rattlesnakes in NA. You really need to antagonize when to get it into defensive mode. I see them in Ringwood quite often, just watch out because they blend in perfectly with the leaf litter.

Reason ticks are at an all-time high is because of the deer. The abundance of hawks, owls, foxes, and coyotes have been doing a good job with the smaller vermin. The deer though are dropping ticks off right in our yards.
If you think deer are the biggest carrier you are mistaken mice out number deer 1,000,000 to 1 though in NJ you would think it is other way around. That's not counting rats, chipmunks squirrels ect.
https://umdrightnow.umd.edu/news/timber-rattlesnakes-vs-lyme-disease

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
If you think deer are the biggest carrier you are mistaken mice out number deer 1,000,000 to 1 though in NJ you would think it is other way around. That's not counting rats, chipmunks squirrels ect.
https://umdrightnow.umd.edu/news/timber-rattlesnakes-vs-lyme-disease

THANK YOU! I glanced at the other post and I couldn’t for the life of me make the (what should have been obvious) connection between the loss of the rattlers and ticks, I’m like...it’s not like they eat’em.

Of course now I have this cartoon image of Joe Rattlesnake hunting ticks with his friggen tongue like an aardvark stuck in my head. :)

Top Bottom