rant time...

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
who keeps putting logs across the nicks?
went for a ride today and on steelman just about all the nicks were lined with logs 3 of them already had leaves and such making them useless.
I am noticing alot of trail lining going on I can kind of understand that someone might not know where the trails are around the turns but if the nicks get too clogged then the work to keep the trails ridable after the rain is right out the window...
OK stepping down off my soapbox now.

l8tr Mike

Jim & Val

Hey Mike
We saw that today on the switchback trail also. Someone needs to stop this person before they ruin all our hard work.:cry:

dualfisted

don't worry.....

I will catch them and leave the corpses for the coyotes.

But actually, that kinda sux. Some people jus seem to think a good trail has to be lined with logs for some reason. Someone has some 'splainin' to do!!!!!

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
I dont want to rain on anyones parade, but some of the knicks were so big that they appeared as trail to FAST riders. I have spoken to the almighty about this and there is a general consesus that the knicks do in fact appear as trail to the FAST riders. No worries, I assume it wasnt done to promote flooding or as spitefull, it was proable done to promote speed.

Disclaimer: I dont support altering TM work.
Dickhead statement of the month: I dont like being pinned into a knick that appears as if it were trail.

Last edited:

mike_243

JORBA.ORG
like I said I can kind of understand that..
and some of the logs were high enough that the water will still flow.
some however were not and had already started to hold water there is not going to be a good resolve for any of this as the bigger nicks on stillman are there to promote the sandy corners to be washed out and it looks like it is starting to work the problem is that they need to be uber-nicks which do tend to look like the trail.
the straight up trail lining has nothing to do with this and just holds all the bad stuff in the trail.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
the straight up trail lining has nothing to do with this and just holds all the bad stuff in the trail.

I still doubt it was done to spite or anger those who worked hard on the problematic areas. What is being overlooked is the fact that some (and not me) riders do pass throught that trail with a great deal of speed. A minor mistake at that speed could cause a scratch or dent to the body, which in my mind is more valuable than dirt. The logs provide a point of reference to riders who are concentrating on oxegen and fatigue as opposed to erosion.

Any way you slice it - it needs to be adressed, that s the great thing bout MTBNJ - we chat and resolve trai issues.

Frank

Sasquatch
The fact that the nicks have grown in size is due to the sandy soil. Without these nicks there would be a lot more sand, so if it is a speed demon doing the "damage" he will get his when the sand is knee deep. Simple as that. Over the last few years we have tried different techniques to try and win the battle with sand, and these nicks are the best answer yet. Mikes rant is due to the fact that he has spent nearly 30 hours this year sweating on these trails. We will fix it, and we will make it better. FFT has a point about running off trail because of the size of the nicks ( hell I even rode off trail in one of those :eek: )and we will address it. But lining the trail with logs just promotes erosion.

Last edited:

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
If someone is riding too FAST to tell the difference between the trail and a knick, they are probably going too fast to ride the trail responsibly (in control). "I was going too fast" is the same excuse used for skidding thru turns and other douchery. I find no good excuse for doing damage to trails, and pissing off other user groups.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
i can see both sides of this as i almost turned off the trail into a nick one time. it was RIGHT after the nick work was done and i was not used to riding down steelman, as i am used to going up it. but either way... i wouldnt put a log there, id just remember for next time.

Frank

Sasquatch
We ran a little short on time during one of the tm sessions when we put those nicks in. When we construct those nicks we usually throw a bit of leaf litter in it so this does not happen...we goofed. I just ask that people NOT ruin a nick by throwing a log or limb across it and render it useless.

mike_243

JORBA.ORG
We ran a little short on time during one of the tm sessions when we put those nicks in. When we construct those nicks we usually throw a bit of leaf litter in it so this does not happen...we goofed. I just ask that people NOT ruin a nick by throwing a log or limb across it and render it useless.
the ones we put in to draw some of the sand off the corners seem to be doing just that. me thinks they will need "cleaning" soon...:hmmm:

dualfisted

this is getting good!!!!

U cats ALL said "douchery", hahaha. My point was made for me, if you're going so fast that u mistake a knick for a trail, well, then you probably aren't familiar enough with that trail to be riding it at that speed in a safe manner. I can ride every trail @ Allaire about as fast as u can go and not mistake a knick for a trail...... Why? Because I know the trails I train on. If you don't know the trail well enough to know every turn in it, well, then it isn't a trail you should be riding fast. You're going to hurt someone else, you're gonna hurt the trail by skidding an such, and you'll eventually hurt yourself by doing this. Plus, for those reasons, the "training" excuse is lame, unless your living is made on a mountain bike, you can get the "training" you "need" and still keep the bike under control. Frank, u get a pass on all of these, I think, you're the trail maint. King/ guru out there, but I don't know what lala loopy land you must've been in when u mistook a knick for the trail.... Too much chocolate stout maybe. wow, ranting is fun, haha.

mike_243

JORBA.ORG
they are not really nicks they are bike traps....
I have a side business selling used mountain bikes on ebay :) gotta get my stock somehow...

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions