RANT: Love Triangle

That is about the only analogy I can make for it.

My job is very stressful. I am an Exec Asst. for a very, very busy Sr. VP for Research at my company, which deals with education services and policy issues. My boss is constantly criss-crossing the country giving presentations, closing business deals, and playing politics. He is usually in the office only a handful of days a month, and in that time I have to prepare dossiers, update his calendar, his blackberry, review his mail, his emails, his invitations, his appointments, get his signature on stacks of paperwork, pay bills and plan meetings. I really, really like my boss, and I respect and admire him very much. He knows what a strain managing his professional and personal activities is on a person and really appreciates me and everyone else on his staff.

The caveat is his research partner of 10 years and co-author of his many books and papers. She is demanding, hard-nosed, incredibly well-organized, intelligent, shrewd and very careful about playing politics - to the point where sometimes, things do not get done because she is so cautious about making sure things are said/done the right way and only to the appropriate people. I admire her too, for her work and her research. But she is personally impossible to deal with at work. She used to be my bosses Office Administrator while she was getting her PhD. Administration is a huge strongpoint for her; not for me. I DETEST administrative work but I am stuck with it for now while I am getting my change of career started. The tiniest thing that I do wrong is a huge issue; an email sent before she reviews it becomes the end of the world. Mail not immediately opened and addressed becomes the focal point of a rant about how I cannot stay on top of keeping my boss's schedule intact.

For example, the other night I placed the stack of mail I received that afternoon on my desk so I could open it the next day. She must have come by my desk at some point that night, because it was all opened and left for me. She took an invitation the boss received and answered it for him before I could even bring it to his attention, and she e-mailed me, the boss, and our office supervisor about it. She also noted that the boss's credit card bill was not paid - not true; I pay his bills online, and the online payment had not been credited to the paper statement. It was a big uproar over nothing. I had all the paperwork to back me up and prove the bill was paid, and she refused to admit she did anything wrong or to apologize. She just reiterated that I have to be more organized and responsible, because my boss's career depends on it.

Call me crazy, but I think she is secretly in love with him, and she is jealous of my position as his assistant, and that I have more knowledge of his whereabouts, his schedule, his personal appointments with his family, and his professional relationships, than she currently does. His research focus has broadened into areas that she does not focus on, so she has lost touch with some of his activities. In other ways, she knows more about him than I do, and uses that as leverage to point out my shortcomings in managing his time and his assignments.

So it feels like being caught in a love triangle. It is very uncomfortable. At least she is not in a position to push me out of an airplane with a faulty parachute...

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
wow, do i not miss that. the worst that happens in my office is cheerios on the floor that the dog missed.

Last edited:

SpartaBard

I hope she is not a mountain biker...

That could make things really uncomfortable.

Why can't she mind her own business?

SpartaBard

Based upon the title, I really thought this post was going to be much more exciting... :D

I kept on thinking "When is she going to get to it"? Is she having an affair with her boss and this lady also?

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Based upon the title, I really thought this post was going to be much more exciting... :D

I kept on thinking "When is she going to get to it"? Is she having an affair with her boss and this lady also?

brad, did this thought not occur to you while penning your first post?

Shaggz

A strong 7
I used to work for a hopsital, and the office politics and incestuous nature of that place, and from what I hear, the industry, bred a work environment of apathy and distrust.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I say you should try to seduce the woman, then take pictures and blackmail her.

Good luck.

SpartaBard

yuck, no. She looks like she is nine months pregnant everyday (she's not). I am not kidding, very big belly. And super short buzz cut hair. never wears makeup.

I was going to say that you could even post the pics here if you wanted, but maybe not...

It sounds like she would go for women though...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
yuck, no. She looks like she is nine months pregnant everyday (she's not). I am not kidding, very big belly. And super short buzz cut hair. never wears makeup.

Well she sounds like a dyke to me. Shouldn't be too hard. Tell her the CIA is trying to steal your entire left arm and you need a place to hide it.

Hey send me pics when you're all done? Thanks!

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well she sounds like a dyke to me. Shouldn't be too hard. Tell her the CIA is trying to steal your entire left arm and you need a place to hide it.

Hey send me pics when you're all done? Thanks!

:hysterica

holy chit, that is fawking hysterical!!!

Shaggz

A strong 7
J_G_R: Sorry you got thread jacked by most of the Cavalleroes. At the very least, hopefully you got a smile form this.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
dude, how are we supposed to act? i mean, we've all been there, we've all had bosses or people we worked with that we despised. the best that we, the kind folks of mtbnj.com can do is make J_G_R laugh and realize that we, who have like eleventy billion posts here, have almost no lives and that her non-dyke but dyke looking, not pregnant, but pregnant looking superior beating her over the head for no real reason isn't all that bad.

there's always tomorrow...which is saturday...so it's all good.

SpartaBard

"J_G_R: Sorry you got thread jacked by most of the Cavalleroes. At the very least, hopefully you got a smile form this.
__________________"

Isn't that the goal of most of our shenanigans?

Top Bottom