random people following on strava why? or wierdest request to follow on strava

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
I've had a few requests for people to follow be on strava. People of people I know. Why? Cause it motivates people to ride more? Actually it does motivate me so there. Question answered.

The wierd eat one was from some wacky lady from long island that met on the 5 boro bike tour. She stalked me on strava when they had the fly bts open.

So maybe I should ask wierdest request to follow on strava?

On the covered bridges ride one year, I was with a really strong group, some of the New Hope / Lambertville area hammers and some of the Guy's racing peeps. We caught up to this guy early on in the loop that would randomly attack the group, always to be caught. I caught him on a DH, he attacked immediately on the next uphill, caught him half way up (much to his weird looks). This went on for probably 10-20 miles until he just stayed with us. He followed me and I did to him. Turned out to be @jimvreeland / Hill Top's panty boy, David Steele. Roughly 462 selfie's later (1 week of rides), I unfollowed him.

@Mountain Bike Mike and I had a similar experience at covered bridges with another guy that followed and then unfollowed.

I haven't met every one i follow but I know them in some respect or they live local to the areas I ride.

It gets weird when I go for hike with my wife, as she wants me to track it with Strava for the miles/time but as soon as I get home there's already 12 kudos. I should probably make it private.

On the other hand, I'm not as diligent in giving kudos to everyone I'm following.

I would say the same thing, sometimes I will connect with Friends of Friends on Strava from comments etc... cause it is motivating to give/get kudos for rides (#stravaddict).

But then it started getting a little crazy so I made up a rule for myself that in order to follow/be followed by someone I will have had to at least done a ride together. This way its not totally weird/stalking kinda thing. Or there was a time I stopped to help these two older gents change a flat (new bike he could not figure out how to get the T/A skewer off!) they asked to follow me in Strava via Flyby which was cool for me; mostly so they could say thanks.

This is also true in Zwift but this where I definitely have not met these folks in person, but we have done several group rides together and chat online etc... for some of these folks I met them on Zwift like 5+ years ago so its OK but these i keep limited to really a handful.

I also have my security settings so that you cannot just follow me, I have to grant permission. This was mostly because I was getting tons of fake/spam account requests for the kudo crazy followers like this one:

1607540592465.png

Typically these accounts follow like 8,975 people but only like 1000 follow them back. just too shady for me.

i've had people who have no connection to me that i can see ask to follow me... they're not from NJ, have almost no activities uploaded and no mutual friends in common... that's a big fat NO from me. i have a few people on strava i must have ridden with once and added them because i kinda forget who or why... but basically i have to know you to allow you to follow me.... honestly, i'm a little paranoid and do it out of safety concerns.

i've had random people from zwift ask to follow. Sometimes from crazy far away countries, pretty weird. I'll only follow or allow someone to follow if i've ridden with them in real life or i know them.

There is a "riding group" at work so i have some people i've never met from random places like Bahrain (REALLY flat rides), Indonesia, Dubai, Germany, France, Idaho and Indiana.. i think i've ridden with everyone else i follow at least once...

I developed an auto-immune condition in 2014 and wound up with a very good doctor that got that condition under control as best as it can be controlled.
I have to see this neurologist twice a year now and have been doing so since around 2018. We became Strava buddies and follow each others daily events.
They run and I ride, when it's visit time doc says I feel like I know you from following your rides every day. I think it's a good thing they see how I'm doing.
When I stop they'll know there's a problem. 🤪

I'm not getting rando follows, but occasionally I get completely rando kudoses,
from folks who I cannot even imagine a connection (friend of a friend of a friend or fellow group member).

How do these folks even see or find my rides?
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I only see the folks I follow in my feed.
I mean I can see that you can search users/rides,
but neither me or my rides are search-worthy.

from folks who I cannot even imagine a connection (friend of a friend of a friend or fellow group member).

Prolly thru strava groups

I've had a few requests for people to follow be on strava. People of people I know. Why? Cause it motivates people to ride more? Actually it does motivate me so there. Question answered.

The wierd eat one was from some wacky lady from long island that met on the 5 boro bike tour. She stalked me on strava when they had the fly bts open.

So maybe I should ask wierdest request to follow on strava?

Requests? I don't get requests to follow, except for women who could get stalked by kooks. If I see "request to follow", I pass!

Anywho, I got some strange follows from Brazil and elsewhere a few years ago.

Sometimes I have my best ever effort, and then there is someone who did that same segment, but faster. I send them kulos. I guess is seems random to them.

Prolly thru strava groups
I think this is unlikely given the geography of some of these, but I'll make sure to check that next time.

Sometimes I have my best ever effort, and then there is someone who did that same segment, but faster. I send them kulos. I guess is seems random to them.
Good sportsmanship, but I don't think this is where I'm getting them from.
These randos come in realtime for a recently completed ride.

Maybe I'll just comment on the next one and ask them who the hell they are and wtf do they think they're doing.

I get randos from followers of people I follow but don't follow myself. For example I follow Paul H. but not his friend Choi but gave what must've seemed like a random kudo to him.

I think this is unlikely given the geography of some of these, but I'll make sure to check that next time.

Good sportsmanship, but I don't think this is where I'm getting them from.
These randos come in realtime for a recently completed ride.

Maybe I'll just comment on the next one and ask them who the hell they are and wtf do they think they're doing.

probably using the 'today' filter for segment.
do you check if they were riding the same place?

like i do, check the 6MR segment when it is muddy then use my burner account to mock them.

Back
Top Bottom