i usually carry:

1 tube
patch kit(glue type)
multitool
pump
id
cupla dollars
asthma inhaler

sometimes i remember food. in the bottles i usually have glaceau smart water, which is just water + electrolytes. i have two consecutive powerlinks on my chain, so if the chain breaks, i can just finnagle it with those, flip the wheel to the smaller cog and fixed gear it outa there. i guess i also usually have my truck/house keys in pocket.

ArmyOfNone

i really want to hear brett's stock list....

LOL! i would as well. the last time we were out i needed a wrench to tighten up my cranks. He opened up his bag and i could not believe how much stuff he had in there. Prepared to the T

tooo bad you guys cant come down tomm. Mayb we can arrange a chimney rock run or sumtin. You have not been there yet rite?

Spylab

My bag's inventory (while riding):

Blackburn carbon fiber pump
Tube
Water
Granola
Bandana
Terry cloth towel
Multitool
Patch kit
Plastic tire levers
Red-tint sunglasses
Tire pressure gauge
Socks
Digital camera
Cell Phone

S

secondspeed

"Think Safety"

Good point, These people out there that day are your allys if you need help, They give comfort that even thought your secluded you are not alone.

Ryan and other gentlmen good to hear.. Just like to add... During a group novice to intermediate ride please let everyone catch up, make sure you volunteer a rider to be sweeper. So that the leader and middle man knows whats happening from sweeper..
plus add a first aid kit (you never know -like we say it in construction "THINK SAFETY")

mountain biker patrol in IMBA.com for more inforamtion..
keep cranking!!

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
personally, i prefer to dismount and let an equestrian pass as well, along with all the advice above. one section of trails near me see alot of equestrian use, and i have always dismounted and talked as they passed, never had a problem. if the horse is especially spooked, remove your helmet.

As one who enjoys both the sport of mountain biking and horseback riding, I strongly agree with Anrother about getting off your bike when horses are present. As bikers the safest way to pass a horse is to dismount and let the equestrian pass you. We are in control of our bikes, but a person riding a spooked horse has very little, if no, contol over their siutation.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
As one who enjoys both the sport of mountain biking and horseback riding, I strongly agree with Anrother about getting off your bike when horses are present. As bikers the safest way to pass a horse is to dismount and let the equestrian pass you. We are in control of our bikes, but a person riding a spooked horse has very little, if no, contol over their siutation.

This certainly brings into question the safety of having horses on the trail at all if they're so unpredictable.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ok, ok. horses spook, norm makes a good point about a canary in a cage walt loves to ride in diverse areas. let's not completely derail this one...it is a sticky after all.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i hope so, i've refused to read the other thread so that my training blog would get more views(didn't work). you know, don't vote for the opponent and the like. so i've got some catching up to do. i know this though, booties SUCK in the trails.

As far as the horses doing "trail maintenence" with their droppings, that could be a good thing, but if you're using water bottles in a bottle cage on your frame, (as I like to do on shorter rides), It might be a good idea to put the bottle in a sock or make sure you wipe the mouth spigot before you put it into your mouth. If the shit hits the fan, err, um the bottle, you for sure don't want to be ingesting any of that stuff.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
-(new) RIGHT OF WAY: Climbing bikers, hikers, and horses have the right of way, you hit one of these people, your in the wrong.

MOST IMPORTANT RULE!! PLEASE REMEMBER IT

I don't know why but recently, since I have been on my SS more and more, I never fail to run into riders that are coming down while I am going up and I have to get out of the way, f@#king all the momentum I had for the climb :mad2: :getsome: :mad2:
that annoys the hell out of me!

ps. Sorry, I had to vent :(

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah I have that happen to me more and more lately as well.

The dickheads at Liberty Cycle were at LM one day and refused to yield both up and down, 3 different times.

We saw them at CR a few weeks later and one of the assholes went OTB on a zero technical spot. Poetic fucking justice.

Top Bottom