Ramblings from Moe Mountain

Kaleidopete

Thanks all for the good wishes, it seems today things have cleared up as quickly as they attacked two days ago.
A mystery. I had slight symptoms this morning but now this afternoon all is good. At least I found out the tests
said everything is OK and I don't have Covid, so there are the plusses. My advise, don't get old!

Kaleidopete

Did a nice ride around Greenwood Lake today. You get to see so much more at 10mph than driving around.
Lots of great sights. Then I stopped for lunch at Jessy's Kettle Kitchen for a Sam Adams summer and an order
of plant based chicken wings. It's starting to warm up out there!
This is a trail head for the ridge along Greenwood lake, enough parking for 4 cars
Dsc06744.jpg

Greenwood Lake beach
Dsc06747.jpg

The Bridge local bar, few choices! Light beer is a Coors, regular beer is a Budweiser, whiskey is Jack Daniels.
That's it, the only choices. Bar is only open Friday nights, 8 to ?
Dsc06749.jpg

Lakeside drive heading back to Jersey
Dsc06750.jpg

some trails go off into Sterling.
Dsc06752.jpg

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

I rode the Shades Of Death road today in Warren County. It was a fifteen mile round trip through farmlands.
It also goes through Jenny Jump state park. I entered the park on a small trail which opened up to like a wide double track.
I only did a short exploration, as my main event was riding the road. It was a nice hot 90° day.
This road is supposed to have a spooky history, which might have been better at night, but I still had a nice ride and enjoyed the day.

Dsc06857.jpg

Dsc06851.jpg

Jenny Jump
Dsc06856.jpg

Dsc06853.jpg

End of road in Great Meadows town
Dsc06852.jpg

Kaleidopete

Had a nice ride in the country this morning. Timed it just right to attend some friends bike meeting at
the Polish American Legion in the Black Dirt section of Pine Island, NY. Got there at 11:45 and the event
was over at Noon. That's when the bar opens, so I did some socializing, had a shot & a beer and headed
back to my starting point. A nice fifteen mile ride.

an old gas pump at a farm along the way
Dsc06876.jpg

the event
Dsc06877.jpg

Dsc06878.jpg

the bar was packed at 12:01
Dsc06880.jpg

specials during the week
Dsc06881.jpg

Kaleidopete

10/2/21 Figured I’d hit the trails around 4:30 this afternoon. The plan was to ride about an hour and a half and then catch a nice sunset while having a beer at the Ragnar beer tent.
My ride was going pretty good until I rode the very washed out section of Iron Mt. trail. It really wasn’t the washed out section that threw me to the ground, it was all the loose three inch sized rocks in that section that decided to roll out from under my tires. I didn’t go down too hard, just banged up my bad left knee again. I prefer to crash to the right, but these rocks had something else in mind. Somehow I rolled to the right and landed on my ass, in a mud puddle with about three inches of water in it too. Too bad I did laundry today and put on these clean pants. I had to roll back in the mud in order to get up, which also soiled my clean sweatshirt. Well I got up and finished my ride wet and banged up a little. I made it to the Ragnar beer tent and Got my Sam Adams October Fest.
I said to the bar man, “are you open all night?” he said no they close at 10. I said “what time do you open in the morning?” He said “ you’re that guy that rides a bike here, I remember you from two years ago”. I said yeah, I want my beer tomorrow at 7AM, you had it three years ago, but failed the last two years! He said we won’t open until around 9 or 9:30. I said that’s no good, I’ll be gone by then. He said, here I’ll hide one for you under this table by this leg. Great, thanks!
I rode around a little checking out all the merchandise tents while I finished my beer. Then a guy on a bike pulls up next to me , Charlie I think. I met him here a few months ago. We yakked for a while and rode our separate ways. It had it’s moments, but still a great time.

Dsc07016.jpg
Dsc07017.jpg
Dsc07021.jpg
Dsc07024.jpg

w_b

God forbid you got caught bringing your own beer into a NJ state park. Double standard for sure. What’s good for the government, screw the common man.

Kaleidopete

God forbid you got caught bringing your own beer into a NJ state park. Double standard for sure. What’s good for the government, screw the common man.
For an event all you have to do is apply for and pay for the proper permits. This event has 2000 people so it's worth it.
Smaller events, maybe not. 😊

Reactions: w_b

serviceguy

I thought you weren't allowed to drink beer in a NJ State Park. I was obviously wrong since they were selling it.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I thought you weren't allowed to drink beer in a NJ State Park. I was obviously wrong since they were selling it.

there is a straight forward way for non-profit/family gathering that are not selling it. meaning pay for a permit.

a for-profit company needs to apply for a waiver (meaning pay for a waiver) and file for a permit from the ABC (or whatever we call it here)
takes a couple months planning - there is an insurance, and security requirement.

we did it in the county parks a couple times for family reunions.

serviceguy

there is a straight forward way for non-profit/family gathering that are not selling it. meaning pay for a permit.

a for-profit company needs to apply for a waiver (meaning pay for a waiver) and file for a permit from the ABC (or whatever we call it here)
takes a couple months planning - there is an insurance, and security requirement.

we did it in the county parks a couple times for family reunions.
So once again it's not a rule designed to prevent public intoxication, I suppose...

w_b

Or you can pay $100 per container, also forfeit the goods. Party cups count, if they smell funny, per the Har Har Hardyston PD. Know this from a friend.

Kaleidopete

Wow…I went for a group ride with Black Bear Club today. I’m glad I usually ride alone!
These people could kill me!
What a pace. I’m used to puttering along at a comfortable speed, but this group was at race speed (according to me).
It was great fun though, besides being the longest ride I ever did. (30.7 miles).
Average speed for three hours 10.6 mph and top speeds of 22 mph, whadda tryin’ ta kill me!
We rode everything from rail trail to single track to road, mud, water, holes in da swamp trail.
I’ve been on some of these trails before, but I get lost real easy.
This was especially fun because I could just ride and not think about getting lost or getting back. Thanks BB.
Dsc07073.jpg

Dsc07074.jpg

then beer n pizza after for me
Dsc07075.jpg

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

Wow, quite a morning in the park. I started just before dawn, and I rode up Wingdam trail.
Just by the dam I spotted a Doe Deer on the trail ahead, and I went for my camera.
But she quickly disappeared. As I rode ahead I saw white tails darting all through the woods, so I stopped again.
That’s when I spotted a large Buck standing just off trail about twenty feet away.
I said to him “you better be glad I’m not a hunter” as I took out my camera and snapped a photo.
Then I rode on and decided to take the short crossover trail down to Sitting Bear trail,
it is always fun through the laurels and out to a great lookout point right along the lakes edge.
A great view of the fall leaves and the sun shining across the lake. Just then two Eagles flew by heading East.
They were about 100 feet away from me and about 75 feet off the water. Great experience!
As I was about to ride on there appeared a swarm of thousands of birds swooping from over the island and also heading East.
Wow, that was something! Next I saw the Eagles returning from the East heading back up the lake and they had a third Eagle with them.
That’s it, I hit the trail again back towards the furnace area. Riding along I thought wow what a wildlife day!
All that’s missing is Brer Bear. As I got to Iron Mt. trail, sure enough, there was Brer Bear.
I couldn’t get it to give me a look or perform for me, it was to busy ground feeding on something.
Well that was my wildlife day. Pretty amazing

Mr Buck
Dsc07236.jpg

the Laurels
Dsc07238.jpg

Eagles going East
Dsc07239.jpg

bird swarm
Dsc07243.jpg

Brer Bear
Dsc07248.jpg

Kaleidopete

Inspired by my new book “Walking the Newark Branch” , an adventure of the old railroad tracks,
I saw photos of where I grew up, and decided to venture back to that neighbor hood today.
I grew up there in the late 40’s early 50’s. My first bicycle was a Columbia, I believe.
I was lucky to have a driveway with a slight downhill to the street to practice on.
Then even luckier when I got to the street it was another downhill grade to the park.
This is taking me back seventy years! I soon mastered the balance and was pedaling along.
This gave me a new freedom at seven years old, I could cover great distances that before on foot were daunting.
It was great having a park at the end of my road too. After a few years I graduated up to the Schwinn with a Springer fork and all.
There was no keeping me home at this point. My sisters still remember I had a curfew of not being allowed to leave the house until seven AM.
My adventures took me many miles. So now after leaving that town sixty years ago it was a fun trip back to see the changes.
my old house today, looks the same
My house03.jpg

looking down the street to the park
Looking down Lake st.jpg

the waterfall in the park where I used to play
Waterfalls07.jpg

view down stream from the falls
Waterfalls05.jpg

the stream went under the tracks, a great place to play, in the tunnel
Stream Under Tracks01.jpg

we also used to play on the box cars parked here, cowboys & indians.
Tracks to High st03.jpg

this is another way into the park from High st. it's still the same, was great sledding down in winter
High st into park2.jpg

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

Some more

this is/was the way into the park by the train station on High st.
High st into park.jpg

a pathway along the stream that was once a large pond
Pond07.jpg

the play ground area looking at what used to be Hoffman La Roach plant
Play Ground04.jpg

the same water fountain is still there and operational.
Water Fountain same one06.jpg

That's about it. Funny how things today look so much smaller now that I'm big.
Also what used to be great distances aren't so much now.

Top Bottom