Raleigh XXIX

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
carbon bars and mt. biking = danger IMHO.

I have had an extremely good history with Easton Carbon bars and posts. Both on the road and MT bike.

It is interesting to note that their Alloy Bars offer a 5 year limited warranty while the Carbon Bars have a lifetime warranty.

When I was last at Cannondale in Bedford PA I saw them torture testing bars. They used a pneumatic machine that would flew the bar about 4" up and down. This was a very scary machine. They had bins and bins of broken parts from every manufacturer. They had 50+ broken frames from any brand you can think of. They actually bought them from shops to test them.

I won't speak of other brands But FSA and Easton Test out really well. They run the fatigue test #'s into the millions of cycles and they never break. In fact they just tun the machine off after a week or so.

If they were breaking I would see it.

j

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
yeah, i've read the same things...that carbon is great. i just wouldn't want to trust my hollywood smile to that stuff. i'd rather have a material that will at least bend and tweak a little instead of just snapping.

that said, on a road bike i wouldn't have any issues with it (other than the cost, of course).

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I have had an extremely good history with Easton Carbon bars and posts. Both on the road and MT bike.

It is interesting to note that their Alloy Bars offer a 5 year limited warranty while the Carbon Bars have a lifetime warranty.

When I was last at Cannondale in Bedford PA I saw them torture testing bars. They used a pneumatic machine that would flew the bar about 4" up and down. This was a very scary machine. They had bins and bins of broken parts from every manufacturer. They had 50+ broken frames from any brand you can think of. They actually bought them from shops to test them.

I won't speak of other brands But FSA and Easton Test out really well. They run the fatigue test #'s into the millions of cycles and they never break. In fact they just tun the machine off after a week or so.

If they were breaking I would see it.

j
I can't speak any further to the durability of these parts than what Jason says above, but I can attest to the improved function. I went from a Bontrager alloy Crow Bar to an Easton carbon riser on my rigid bike, and the feel of dampening, particularly on high-frequency bumps, has been notable. At the same time, the bar feels more "connected" steering-wise. I'm sold.

Top Bottom