raleigh xxix or something with gears?

warcricket

Like a Jerk
anyone ride one?
i can get an 07 model for half off at $450.
do or don't?

or

recommend me a hardtail for around $1000...

ArmyOfNone

Its very similar to the mary. ms. mary is an awesome single track ripping machine. for that price you cant go wrong. DO IT!

mtbdawgjeff has one and he is very happy with it.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i've ridden the xxix - i dug it - nice solid bike. $450 is a great deal. if i had the opportunity to get a deal like that for that bike, i would have no regrets picking it up.

J-Dro

Yeah I have an xxix and I can say its a solid ride. It is arguably one of the best 'bang for the buck' bikes out there. I eventually put an 80mm Reba fork on it, and even though Chris is correct about the non-suspension corrected geometry, I just turned my stem over to lower my bar a bit and I like the feel of the cockpit just fine. $450 is a good deal but they routinely go for just a little bit more on eBay if you keep your eyes peeled. The only bad thing I can say about it is that the paint chips easily - no biggie.

Here is the Dirt rag review for another opinion.
http://www.dirtragmag.com/print/article.php?ID=844&category=stuff_reviews

warcricket

Like a Jerk
i'm really leaning towards the xxix. as much as i'm captivated by the idea of a ss, this is gonna be my main bike so it just wouldn't be practical as i have to commute to all the places i ride...
so, if i were to get a hanger, der, and cassette, would i be able to convert it into a 1x9 or would i need a new rear wheel?
http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/mountain/xxix/

Glancing Aft

How far are you from the trailhead?
I have about a 3 mile cruise and I always find it to be a great time on my SS to get the heart rate up at the start and cool off on the way home. I actually much prefer it on my SS than my full squish.

J-Dro

Why not just get the xxix+g if you want gears? You will need a new rear hub to convert the xxix to gears.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
glancing aft:
5 miles to six mile (not bad)
but 13 to sourlands (spinning out is no fun)
and 10 to chimney rock (this one i can arrange to only go one way)

jeff:
new XXIX= 450
new XXIX+G= 1400

warcricket

Like a Jerk
ended up picking up a Specialized 29er rockhopper comp disc and a set of eggbeaters and shoes...
definitely enjoying it!

Purple Liquid

Shop: Efinger
Shop Keep
ended up picking up a Specialized 29er rockhopper comp disc and a set of eggbeaters and shoes...
definitely enjoying it!

Hey dude! I worked on your bike! Glad we could hook you up! I'm the red haired kid, so next time you see me... give me a shout! :D

Top Bottom