Raised-Reversed Stem

JPark

Wondering people's opinions of the raised-reverse stem or if anyone has tried it.
The reviewers all seemed to have the opinion that they probably wouldn't get one, but they would change their current set-up to a shorter stem and higher bars.
I can definitely see it's benefits on steep downhills.

Interestingly, when I got my first good MTB almost a decade ago, after riding it for a few months I decided to get a shorter stem and the highest riser handle bars I could find. I thought maybe my frame was a little too long and this would help keep my weight more rearward on the bike and it definitely helped improve my riding.

Wondering people's opinions of the raised-reverse stem or if anyone has tried it.
The reviewers all seemed to have the opinion that they probably wouldn't get one, but they would change their current set-up to a shorter stem and higher bars.
I can definitely see it's benefits on steep downhills.

Interestingly, when I got my first good MTB almost a decade ago, after riding it for a few months I decided to get a shorter stem and the highest riser handle bars I could find. I thought maybe my frame was a little too long and this would help keep my weight more rearward on the bike and it definitely helped improve my riding.

It’s weird AF looking so right away people are going to be resistant.

But if someone bought a used fork with the steerer cut too short, something like this may be a better alternative than a new crown.

20200801_083227.jpg

Yeah, this setup hurts my eyes.

It looks like a possibility for maybe a narrow segment of riders with unique "anatomical challenges", like disproportionally long legs/short arms/inflexible hips/etc.

I also have to wonder about the steering dynamics and the issues created by having your hands so far behind the front axle and so high at the same time.

And no, I haven't watched any of the videos, in case the stuff I mentioned is addressed there.

I watched both Seth and loam wolf when this was floating around. Both put faster times on their downhill runs. Something about being in line with the forks make it or something I forget.

When i am trying to raise my bars i have the option of a steep stem that is long, or a short steep stem. Neither is what i really want to do they are both a compromise.

I have used and use stem risers but i'd rather keep it simple. I don't trust them to take a beating.

I think there is a place for 70 degree plus stems. I also think in the near future you'll see more of them.

Attachments

• bikes.png
    bikes.png
    278.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom