Racks

did the hitch mount come with the car, or was that something you installed yourself?

It's a Mazda3. The receiver does not come on this car. I bought a Hidden Hitch receiver ($130 shipped). I drilled the holes to mount but couldn't finish the job. A garage charged me $30 to finish the job.

CIMG3984Small.jpg

This is what I like best. All you can see is the 1.25 receiver if I take the rack off.
CIMG3985Small.jpg

CIMG3986Small.jpg

CIMG3991Small.jpg

Last edited:
I've got the Thule T2 hitch for my sedan and it hold the bike on great. Although the entire rack can sway side to side too much for my liking, that might be a product of the smaller car hitch.

This is my second hitch rack -- the first was a cheapie from Jenson or Performance that didn't lock down -- it just tightened itself over the bike, which of course wiggled itself free within a half mile of my house. So I definitely do not recommend cheaping out.

did the hitch mount come with the car, or was that something you installed yourself?

I bought the hitch mount from an RV dealer.... like $80... then (like Ben) also had a local gas station install it... $30 or 40 sound about right.

I ordered a receiver from Hidden Hitch that was made for my 7th Gen Accord (2003-2007) and I was able to install it myself without having to drill holes or anything. I just had to unhook the muffler from the rubber hanger to move it out of the way. The entire job took about 1/2 hour. I don't use the hitch mounted bike rack much because since a car is much lower to the ground than a truck or SUV, when I back out of a steep driveway the front wheel of the bike will scrape the ground. That's why I went back to a roof mounted system.

Thule T2, no thanks.......

Thule T2 is junk, how do I know - I have the 2+2. I bought it with a shop emp deal + additional savings for some bs internet registration; still not worth the coin. My friend rocks a Saris, I wish I had purchased one of those.

In fact: For Sale - T2, 2+2, 2 inch - best offer. PM me and I will sell you my pos Thule rack - cheap.

Thule T2 is junk, how do I know - I have the 2+2. I bought it with a shop emp deal + additional savings for some bs internet registration; still not worth the coin. My friend rocks a Saris, I wish I had purchased one of those.

In fact: For Sale - T2, 2+2, 2 inch - best offer. PM me and I will sell you my pos Thule rack - cheap.

What is wrong with yours? Mine has been working fine; even with leaving it on over the winter.

I ordered a receiver from Hidden Hitch that was made for my 7th Gen Accord (2003-2007) and I was able to install it myself without having to drill holes or anything. I just had to unhook the muffler from the rubber hanger to move it out of the way. The entire job took about 1/2 hour. I don't use the hitch mounted bike rack much because since a car is much lower to the ground than a truck or SUV, when I back out of a steep driveway the front wheel of the bike will scrape the ground. That's why I went back to a roof mounted system.

i have a 2004 accord. i guess i need to weigh the coin i would drop on the hitch and rack, versus how much i would save on gas :hmmm:.

i have a 2004 accord. i guess i need to weigh the coin i would drop on the hitch and rack, versus how much i would save on gas :hmmm:.

I'll give you my 1 1/4 3 bike for $20 to get ya started..............

I religiously record my mpg. I have every tank of gas of my current car recorded. With a roof rack, my mileage is 1-2 mpg worse than without. With a bike(s) on said roof rack, maybe another 1mpg drop. My mpg on highway trips with bikes on the roof is still 30+, so I don't fret over it.

Btw, the car is a honda fit and I am using yakima racks with the copperhead tray and occasionally I'll throw my raptor tray on too.

I chose the yakima because I found good deals and pretty much everyone I know who is into bikes or winter sports told me I should have gone Thule. Well, I got a complete thule roof rack which I sold to a friend and that thing was a bitch to setup compared to mine, plus everything was much more expensive. I have no complaints about my setup.

i just put my bike into my car(05 civic si). i priced out some bike racks and i just cant spend that kind of money on a roof rack(its the only option for my car)

because its a hatchback. so im kinda assed out in that aspect. but honestly i can fit two bikes inside my car with no problems, PLUS still have room for a passenger and bags and such in the back.

because its a hatchback. so im kinda assed out in that aspect. but honestly i can fit two bikes inside my car with no problems, PLUS still have room for a passenger and bags and such in the back.

If you're cool about putting your bike inside that's the way to go.

The trunk rack should strap/hook on top/side/bottom of your hatch.
I used Trunk/Hitch/Roof racks and in a pinch the Trunk rack isn't that bad however you'll need to store inside your car when riding.

See you on the trails.
Tony

Back
Top Bottom