racing while sick?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
any tips for racing with a slight head cold? any medicines that will make it go away for two-three hours of high exertion without maiking me crash into a tree?

i usually take little or no medication for anything, so they might effect me differently.

ytc100

anrothar said:
any tips for racing with a slight head cold? any medicines that will make it go away for two-three hours of high exertion without maiking me crash into a tree?

i usually take little or no medication for anything, so they might effect me differently.

Pseudoephedrine. You know, that stuff they use to make crystal meth. :)
If you've never taken it before I would suggest a test run. Tends to make me a bit hyper and can dry you out. I have ridden while on it though and felt good. Apparently it's a behind the counter drug now because of its abuse as a crystal meth ingredient so you'll have to ask for it.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Pseudoephedrine is great. In the occasional year when I get allergies, it works well. When I get a cold, I take cold medication containing it. Otherwise, I stick to the crystal meth.

I wouldn't take anything if you can deal with it. If you can't, I wouldn't race. After the start, things will loosen up on their own and you can launch the occasional snot rocket or use your jersey. This isn't Victorian England so no worries about style points.

NJ Jess

Ouch!

anrothar said:

Don't you think your body is telling you something? ......Perhaps, REST! Drink more fluids, take your vitamins, and sleep. There was life before cycling. What was it? Reminisce. Look at old photo albums. Call an old high school friend. Relax. Sometimes God makes you slow down if you like it or not. ( Ask me, 6 months out for a separated shoulder.) But the drive and yerning you get from "lifes speedbump" only make you focus better on that which you strive for most. Slow down and let your body "Concentrate" on healing itself. Winter is coming and there a lot more immune threats out there.

Top Bottom