Jshort’s bike thread

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
there are a bunch of twisties they had last year. I like droppers for tight turns almost as much as gnar.
I think it depends on the flow, if it is constant on the gas, with lots of turns, like the orange section of six mile, I think keep the dropper up is faster.
Stand alone turns, dropper down most of the time.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think it depends on the flow, if it is constant on the gas, with lots of turns, like the orange section of six mile, I think keep the dropper up is faster.
Stand alone turns, dropper down most of the time.

In constant twists I’ll usually drop 1/3 of the way down. Give or take. Can keep pedaling with some efficiency and still take the turns a little better. I try to get the best of both worlds but sometimes it’s easier to just leave the thing up.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm weight weenie guilty as anybody but it's hard for me to understand how the extra 400g of non-rotating weight a dropper adds is going to cause you to lose measurable or meaningful time on a flat-ish course. I think it's easier to make a case that a dropper will help you gain time by being able to carry more speed through turns or help you save energy, even if you only use it a few times per lap.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm weight weenie guilty as anybody but it's hard for me to understand how the extra 400g of non-rotating weight a dropper adds is going to cause you to lose measurable or meaningful time on a flat-ish course. I think it's easier to make a case that a dropper will help you gain time by being able to carry more speed through turns or help you save energy, even if you only use it a few times per lap.
You gonna race cross with one?

And not directed at Eric, but just for the record. I put a dropper on an XC bike 8 years ago. So, I am well aware of the benefits and disadvantages. Like I said I just wanted to see how light I could get it.

635E4390-C777-48A8-BBC6-E3D940EDDC67.jpeg

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
You gonna race cross with one?

And not directed at Eric, but just for the record. I put a dropper on an XC bike 8 years ago. So, I am well aware of the benefits and disadvantages. Like I said I just wanted to see how light I could get it.

View attachment 143176
Am I gonna race cross again seems like a better question. I looked into putting a dropper on my FTB but there wasn’t a great lever option at the time and not on SRAM 1x so can’t convert the left shifter. Plus di2 battery in the seatpost. But yeah I’d totally do it.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
When I'm descending on the road on my mountain bike, I put the seat down first. Pretty much anytime I stand up I put it down without even thinking about it.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Am I gonna race cross again seems like a better question. I looked into putting a dropper on my FTB but there wasn’t a great lever option at the time and not on SRAM 1x so can’t convert the left shifter. Plus di2 battery in the seatpost. But yeah I’d totally do it.

AXS! LOL.

I’ll probably end up with an AXS dropper. It seems like you could easily swap between bikes (assuming same seat post diameter.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
i think droppers make 100% sense for cross and gravel bikes. Could totally see one on my Mr Pink.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I started putting a dropper on my cross bike. Even took apart the shifter and took out the parts to make it compatible. Never finished it for various reasons but also the dropper I had turned out to be total junk. Would be interested to see how the dropper plays in the cross world in the years to come.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
man, im totally missing the boat on this dropper thing. i guess its a matter of seat time with it and using it, because i cant figure out why it would be faster in twisties.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
man, im totally missing the boat on this dropper thing. i guess its a matter of seat time with it and using it, because i cant figure out why it would be faster in twisties.
wood say it takes 3-6 months of use before it becomes second nature

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I can see maybe if you drop it an inch or two but not all the way?

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's

lower center of gravity lets you take the turn faster.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm glad you guys have the mental ability to throw actuating a dropper post properly on top of everything else while redlining in a cross race.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
At the same time don’t you need leverage in the tighter twisties?

I’ve never noticed an issue turning my bars to make a turn.... you mean navigating around a tree?

I'm glad you guys have the mental ability to throw actuating a dropper post properly on top of everything else while redlining in a cross race.

That’s why lever placement is huge on a CX bike. But at the least hopping barriers would be much easier. As would anything “technical” in a cuz race.

Top Bottom