Race report: Bear Mountain Spring Classic

Maurice

Change of style, change of pace. This is road racing at its best, a Classic. The setting is in the middle of Harriman State Park, NY. Gorgeous, especially at this time of year.

I entered the P/1/2 race with the goal of not getting dropped too early, being the first time I raced Bear in this field. The race was stacked, full field, and heavy hitters at that. When you line up you feel that this is all business. No fooling around.

The weather was perfect, just getting into the mid-60's as we got ready to start. I chose not to warm up, there's only so many matches in my legs. The race was 80 miles long with over 5000 ft vertical. The course has some elevation in it, but the meat of it was only to be reached after 20 miles. This was the sketchiest 20 miles of the race, with riders nervous and battling for position like the finish was close. This year the course was two sides of a triangle doubled up on itself. Yellow line rule, and somewhat narrow roads. Sure enough, in a downhill portion doing around 30 mph the cringing noise of riders going down... Business as usual.

We came around and hit "the" downhill. 1.5 miles at 45+ mph. At the bottom is a hairpin turn. Not exactly a hairpin, but more like a 1 lane roundabout that puts you on the opposite side of the road you just descended. You could smell you were about to turn, with all the resin from carbon wheels/pads being burnt.

The first time up the big climb went fairly smoothly. A couple guys broke off and went up the road, never gaining more than 50 yards. For some reason I ended up at the front, setting the pace for the first half of the climb. After that, a few guys turned it up a notch, but I somehow managed to keep up and stay near the front. We crested the hill and were in fast rolling land again. A few attacks took place, but none really stuck. Big teams saw to it. The pace was a bit uneven, sometimes slowing way down. But when it picked up you better not be snoozing. Usually when the road turned up you could expect some mighty pushes. As the race went on, some attacks took place, but nothing major. The second time up the hill things got serious. I think this is where a good portion of the pack got shelled. Again I managed to hang on. I made sure to drink well and ate 1 gel each time we crested the big hill. I still need to work on nutrition.

There is another hill leading up to the finish area. The finish itself is a slight downhill, but before that is a good 3 miles of grinding uphill. That place tends to do damage, to some extent. I felt surprisingly good there, though. The second time around I even managed to be at the front, which gave me great opportunity to grab a bottle from my wife. She's always there to help, and the designated feed area was a war zone in itself. As we reached it, a tacit understanding took place, where no one attacked or changed the pace until we were all fueled. Then the battle started again for a good position into the downhill hairpin turn.

The third and last time up the hill I knew things would get serious. We were still a good group at the bottom, I would say around 60. As we started climbing, all doubts I had before the race on my choice of gears completely vanished. I had initially thought that a 39x23 would be a bit long, but I actually only used the 23 a couple times at the bottom of the hill. As we moved along, especially the last time up the climb, I had to use the 19 teeth cog as accelerations took place. This third climb saw the group explode completely. At the top we were a bit under 20 left. 2 guys were really strong and managed to ride up the road at the top. I made to mistake of sitting too far back at the bottom, and had to fight my way past riders who were blowing up, closing a few gaps. At the top it was all I could to bridge up to the lead group and latch on. Just when you thought no-one could accelerate you'd see somebody jumping, and you had better do the same or you'd stay there.

Eventually after cresting things settled. Too much, even. In the last 10 miles we did not get very organized. None of the big teams were represented at the front, yet they didn't chase. This was odd. The pace was mostly maintained by a series of individual attacks, which went nowhere. Sure enough a small group made contact and we ended up with a 30-35 strong field to attack the finish. We all knew a field sprint was coming. The sprinter teams tried to keep the pace high up Lake Welch road, but as we crested the top things became chaotic. A few guys got yellow line warnings, and getting a good position became more a matter of luck. That and you better not try to take the wrong wheel, the paid riders don't joke around about it. I tried to get a good position but got boxed in big time, and could only come around in the last 100 yards.

In races like that it's a fine balance between being able to finish well and getting dropped miserably. I'm happy with having made it to the end, not too far from the front.

Thanks for reading.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
That is some serious stuff, Maurice. I am genuinely in awe of the level you have taken it to this season.:eek:

RNG1

Wow great writeup, your last couple have been epic and great reads. Thanks and congrats!

kush

Congrats Maurice. It looks like close to 50 people DNFd, that seems like a lot. Is that normal for this kind of race?

BiknBen

Good stuff. 16th place in that race is no joke. :getsome:

No Tiorati Creek Road this year? That climb really made the course in the past.

Chris26er

Team MTBNJ.com-Halter's
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hardcore Maurice, Thats an inspiring story. Way to hang on. That made my night after that rainy Tour of California crap. What, they cant take a camera out in the rain.

Whats the avg speed of a race like that?

Last edited:

larryt

No Tiorati Creek Road this year? That climb really made the course in the past.[/QUOTE]

The climb on the new course was harder than Tiorati. Shorter, but steeper and steady the whole way.

Maurice

Hardcore Maurice, Thats an inspiring story. Way to hang on. That made my night after that rainy Tour of California crap. What, they cant take a camera out in the rain.

Whats the avg speed of a race like that?

Chris,

my GPS showed 24.4. The first hour or so it was a bit over 25, until we hit the first climb.

kush

Men 35+, and 45+ Categories 1-4 Only

If I understand this correctly, I guess I am shut out :(

Maurice

Men 35+, and 45+ Categories 1-4 Only

If I understand this correctly, I guess I am shut out :(

There is that... How many races have you done? Crits and road races count. Any weekday training races?

Other than that, look in PA for actual road races. Last year there was one with an uphill finish. The competition is pretty good out there too.

kush

There is that... How many races have you done? Crits and road races count. Any weekday training races?

Other than that, look in PA for actual road races. Last year there was one with an uphill finish. The competition is pretty good out there too.

3 bbrook and 1 battenkill... :(

I'll have to work on that.

Top Bottom