Race In Philly

ArmyOfNone

Anyone catch the race on tv today? I caught the last hour. Fun to watch. The finish was awesome. Huge crash right at the end. I couldnt imagine eating it at 40+ mph.

The peloton (i think) was a huge pace line. 150 miles in 5 hours. Awesome.

I would like to learn about race strategy.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i watched the wall for every lap, from the wall. then watched the finish while drinking in kildares on main st in manayunk. the only two days that drinking openly while walking around in the street in philly and being rowdy are absolutely ok. not officially, of course, but the cops aren't going to stop thousands upon thousands of people from partying harmlessly, especially when it brings such a huge amount of money to the area. the racers seem to love it too. especially the people who are way off the back on the wall. last lap, it's not uncommon to see someone who's race is sun accept a beer from someone on the sideline and drink it while riding the rest of the way up.

ArmyOfNone

Sounds like you enjoyed the race much more than I. That has to be cool to see.

Kildares is a hell of a spot.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
The energy on the Wall is incredible. As jacked as the regular folks get, it's particularly amazing to be a rider and realize what these guys are doing as they climb that thing so many times.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
it was great. the women more so than the men, when they ended up off the back, everyone would start cheering them really loud. they would get a big smile on their face, get up and hammer for as long as they could. definitely one of the best places to be a spectator in american cycling.

Top Bottom