R.I.P. Marty

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
For those that may not have heard, our friend and long time cycling advocate Marty Epstein has passed away after a long illness.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/morristown/marty-epstein-cycling-icon-morristown-passes-away-69

Marty was an incredible individual. A savvy businessman who knew his clientele well and strived to connect with us on many levels. He also cared about his community at large and strung together a series of meaningful events and initiatives that brought us closer together (he was a co-founder of JORBA) and brought cycling closer to others (he started a grass roots movement in morristown that eventually led to bike lanes in town). Not to mention Gran Fondo, Fat Fifty and more.

Rest In Peace Marty. You have changed our world for the better.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Marty was a big advocate of the kid's triathlon series up in the morris county area.

I can remember the Marty's radio commercials way-way back.

RIP.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Condolences to Marty’s family and friends. Thank you sir for all you’ve done for the bicycling community. RIP

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Condolences to the Epstein family. Marty was an amazing advocate for the cycling community at large. His positive impact will be felt for years to come.

RIP Marty, may the wind always be at your back.

Mahnken

@Xler8 and I had him sign our jerseys at the first Gran Fondo New Jersey, lol. Great guy. I'm gonna have to wear that Jersey on a ride today.
IMG_20190502_125303.jpg

jpn

I had many interactions with Marty in his shops and at a couple Lewis Morris races. He was always encouraging and positive and a real people person. Whether you were a high end guy or just someone who needed something little, Marty would treat you the same. He encouraged everyone to enjoy bikes!

My sympathies to Jessie and his whole family and his very extensive cycling family. He will be missed, but not forgotten and the enjoyment he brought to us through all his efforts are greatly appreciated.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I never spoke with Marty personally, but I was always aware of the good work he did in the cycling community; he will not be forgotten.

Sending condolences to his family.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was never really a customer of his, but I dealt with him on the advocacy side a whole lot back when I was working with Bike & Walk Morristown. We even spent a week down in DC at the national bike summit where he was kind enough to drag me to Trek's private party where we hung out with the president of Trek.

He really did his best to push biking forward in our local area and was involved in a ton of organizations. Everyone in the different parts of bike advocacy worked with him in one fashion or another.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I haven't seen anything posted officially from the family but I may have missed it... The MAFW posted this link:

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/ret...stein-famous-being-marty-dies-69#.XMwgBE0pB-F

A funeral service is planned for 10 a.m. on Monday, May 6, at Temple B'Nai Or, at 60 Overlook Road in Morristown. After the ceremony a bike procession will ride from the temple to the Beth Israel Cemetery in Cedar Knolls, about 4 miles.

Top Bottom