Questons about Jungle Habitat

rojasj

Being a new mountain bike rider I just heard about Jungle Habitat in West Milford, NJ which is not very far from where I live. So I have a few questions regrading this place.

1. Can we go ride anytime or are there specific times when other events are going on and the area is off limits to riders?

2. How technical are the trails ? I've been riding around Ramapo Lake and some of the trails there so this would be my point of reference.

If we can ride at anytime, I think I will be there early AM either this coming Saturday or Sunday to check it out. Does anyone want to join me? I'm a new rider so my still trying to figure out my limitations.

Thanks...

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I believe all the singletrack is legal to ride. I don't think there are time restrictions as night riding is ok there (unless something has changed recently).
Jungle is very rocky, so definitely high on the tech side. It's a really cool ride, I would recommend checking it out.

2Julianas

Team MTBNJ Halter's
You can download a map on Maprika. The Warthog trail circles the parking lot and its fun and techy in places. There are some pretty advanced features on the other trails there for sure but they can be walked/gone around in most cases. There are also the abandoned and decrepit paved trails where the old safari used to ride through, and you can still see remnants of the 70s theme park in places. Really very cool.

Bleeder

JORBA:President
Being a new mountain bike rider I just heard about Jungle Habitat in West Milford, NJ which is not very far from where I live. So I have a few questions regrading this place.

1. Can we go ride anytime or are there specific times when other events are going on and the area is off limits to riders?

2. How technical are the trails ? I've been riding around Ramapo Lake and some of the trails there so this would be my point of reference.

If we can ride at anytime, I think I will be there early AM either this coming Saturday or Sunday to check it out. Does anyone want to join me? I'm a new rider so my still trying to figure out my limitations.

Thanks...
Park hours are to 8pm I believe.
Pretty technical
Sunday skip jungle and come to the NJ mountain bike festival at ringwood instead

rojasj

Park hours are to 8pm I believe.
Pretty technical
Sunday skip jungle and come to the NJ mountain bike festival at ringwood instead

It would be nice but I usually ride early in the morning around 7 am to 9am or 10AM so I can have the rest of the day to hang out with my wife and daughter. They are not interested in mountain bikes so dragging them to Ringwood would not be much fun for them.

mustclime

Hi, old fat guy here..... the jungle is not the best place for new riders IMO. North NJ is a giant pile of rocks with a couple inches of top soil on top. The jungle has less soil than most places. Ringwood and wayway are better than most places for a new rider IMO.

rojasj

this video by Manny is a pretty good representation of the park

Thanks for the video. Yeah, this place looks like a good spot to ride. I'm not sure if I'm going to go early Saturday or Sunday morning as I have a family member in the hospital and due to that my schedule has been a bit off to say the least.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Wow, I can't believe my account still works...

When I moved from NNJ about 10 years ago there was a rumor that interconnecting trails between Ringwood and JH (and some other parks, maybe Wawa) were approved. It sounded so epic at the time and I longed to come back and ride. Did these interconnecting trails happen?

Mr.Moto

Wow, I can't believe my account still works...

When I moved from NNJ about 10 years ago there was a rumor that interconnecting trails between Ringwood and JH (and some other parks, maybe Wawa) were approved. It sounded so epic at the time and I longed to come back and ride. Did these interconnecting trails happen?

Not officially. There are connecting trails through the area that I believe either @JimN or @soundz may have attempted between JH to Ringwood and also out to High Mountain.

Also, there is now the ability to get from Ringwood to Sterling, but a bit of it is on the road.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There are connecting trails through the area that I believe either @JimN or @soundz may have attempted between JH to Ringwood and also out to High Mountain.

Yeah, it wasn't that great, but here it is:
https://www.strava.com/activities/658822489

Be prepared to clear lots of spider webs with your face.

Connecting to High Mountain involved like three miles of road from the blue trail at the far end of High Mountain to the bottom of the Cannonball Trail in Ramapo.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, it wasn't that great, but here it is:
https://www.strava.com/activities/658822489

Be prepared to clear lots of spider webs with your face.

Connecting to High Mountain involved like three miles of road from the blue trail at the far end of High Mountain to the bottom of the Cannonball Trail in Ramapo.

There's an easier (more ridable) way to do it, but I haven't tried the whole thing in its entirety yet. Also, the bridge at Iron Works is back in place so that can cut down the climbing and mileage by a lot, provided you don't mind a bit of road.

There's also an approach coming out the South end of Ringwood at Back Beach Park and entering Norvin Green. It's not for the faint of heart.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There's an easier (more ridable) way to do it, but I haven't tried the whole thing in its entirety yet. Also, the bridge at Iron Works is back in place so that can cut down the climbing and mileage by a lot, provided you don't mind a bit of road.

There's also an approach coming out the South end of Ringwood at Back Beach Park and entering Norvin Green. It's not for the faint of heart.
If this involves riding at Jungle, In.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Awesome, we'll start at casa de @soundz and do Sparta Mountain, Hamburg Mountain, Mountain Creek, Waway, Jungle, Ringwood, Sterling, and then hopefully someone will drive us home.

I am getting more into bike packing. Planning for the Appalachian Trail Ride in Sept (~10 days). 1 day is no longer the limit.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions