Question Registering a Trailer

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Hoping someone with good knowledge of vehicle registration rules (@Carson ?) can give me some guidance. I have a small used trailer that came with the used Hobie sailboat I bought a few months ago in VT. I no longer need the trailer and want to sell it. It is currently registered (through Feb 2021) to the prior owner in VT, but he has transferred trailer ownership to me via a signed and notarized letter. I also have the certificate of origin and all the paperwork the MVC requires to transfer registration. So far so good.

The problem is the long lines at MVC. Since I don’t plan to use the trailer anymore I would like to avoid going to the trouble of registering it in NJ given the hassle. My question is, if I sell it to someone (say in NJ or PA), do I need to have had it registered in my name beforehand? Or is it sufficient to transfer ownership to the buyer and let him or her register it? I tried the MVC site and it doesn’t cover this question. The phone number is useless too, they just direct you to the website. Any guidance appreciated.

FWIW it’s a 4x8 trailer so well under the 2500 lbs weight limit for titling.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
you are screwed. you have to register it ($12 ?) then get the notarized paperwork to sell it.

NTT is a pain. would be much easier if there was a title, and they just signed the seller line.

they only thing that might work since it wasn't registered in NJ is the cert of origin - they claim
first registered owner?

GL

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
you are screwed. you have to register it ($12 ?) then get the notarized paperwork to sell it.

NTT is a pain. would be much easier if there was a title, and they just signed the seller line.

they only thing that might work since it wasn't registered in NJ is the cert of origin - they claim
first registered owner?

GL
Thanks. The VT fellow is the 2nd owner. This should be something that can be done online but the MVC, in all its infinite wisdom, doesn’t permit this. You have to show up just to get the bloody form. All this for a small trailer for which a title isn’t required. 😡

THATmanMANNY

I don't think there is another way around it either
honestly, if you can go mid/later afternoon mid week it might be okay? maybe better chances when school resumes

Top Bottom