Question for the Strava Guru's

The Kalmyk

Average speed- strava and my bike computer (yes I still have one) are off by at least .5mph every ride. Note: the bike computer is set properly with tire/wheel size. I can't be the only one out there who noticed this. Why is this and is there anyway to fix it?

10mph looks so much nicer than 9.5mph on a road ride:)

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Average speed- strava and my bike computer (yes I still have one) are off by at least .5mph every ride. Note: the bike computer is set properly with tire/wheel size. I can't be the only one out there who noticed this. Why is this and is there anyway to fix it?

do you have a speed sensor on whatever device you are using to record on strava? (if you are using your phone for strava the answer is NO).

if not that is your answer, the strava app (and garmins without a speed sensor) use GPS data to calculate speed and distance, and the inaccuracies of GPS (especially on the handhelds with such small antennas) is poor enough to affect the speed by that much. two guys can do the exact same ride with identical units and have different average speeds/distances. the only way around it is to get a wheel speed sensor and calibrate it (if you are using a garmin)

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

use strava desktop interface and correct distance, to correct speed.

The Kalmyk

use strava desktop interface and correct distance, to correct speed.

^^^Haha^^^- can’t have it all I guess.

@shrpshtr325 i’m using my phone and a bike computer for now. Based on your feedback the bike computer average would be closer to the truth. I wonder if a Garmin has a better antenna than does the IPhone I’m using?

Edit: tagged wrong person

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's

@shrpshtr325 i’m using my phone and a bike computer for now. Based on your feedback the bike computer average would be closer to the truth. I wonder if a Garmin has a better antenna than does the IPhone I’m using?

not sure on the newer ones, but i seem to remember reading that the older iphones had some of the least accurate antennas on the mobile market . . . . while the newer garmins are pretty good considering the package that they are in (handheld device). That said if you buy a garmin, its worth the extra $20-$30 for a speedsensor if you want accurate distance. . . .

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's

No computer is perfect, unless you have a Wahoo.

J/k.

+1 for correct distance/elevation buttons on Strava. It averages other peoples' rides on your route to give you a correct-er distance/elevation.

The Kalmyk

Techno Amish checking in.

I want to do the Gravel Grape Crusher course next weekend but the start and end point is at a winery. Is there anyway for me to edit the start and end point? Trying to avoid manually copying the course to fit my ride.

Thanks

The Kalmyk

Route Builder Question...

So I am building a route on the RI/CT border and one of the roads is cut in half. Is there a way I can connect the two ends to keep my route fluid and to keep from having to make an additional route to complete my course?

Thanks

Last edited:

goodvibe

Route Builder Question...

So I am building a route on the RI/CT border and one of the roads is cut in half. Is there a way I can connect the two ends to keep my route fluid and to keep from having to make an additional route to complete my course?

Thanks
Put it in Manual Mode for the small section that Strava is not routing properly, but I would definitely check to make sure that the road goes through. I always double check questionable routes on google maps.

If you have a garmin, i have been using garmin connect because you can set your average speed and create waypoints, which you cannot do in Strava.

1567631590256.png

The Kalmyk

Put it in Manual Mode for the small section that Strava is not routing properly, but I would definitely check to make sure that the road goes through. I always double check questionable routes on google maps.

If you have a garmin, i have been using garmin connect because you can set your average speed and create waypoints, which you cannot do in Strava.

View attachment 104410

Thanks @goodvibe. That worked.

Top Bottom