Question for the Mr. Pink owners, or the fender saavy

Karate Monkey

Add 10mm over your tire size. If that wouldn't clear the frame, you need to drop down a size fender+tire.

Don't know about that frame in particular, other than whatever number they say is the max tire size is probably quite a bit smaller than will fit (that's the size of your fender, see where this is going?)

Reactions: rlb

Karate Monkey

+
"clearance for 32c tires (28’s w/fenders)"
=
~38ish fenders?

Probably 40 or 45 with a crimp or Dremel then. Full disclosure: I have not yet fendered my Mr Pink.

Get some Sheldon Nuts. I use them along with bolts leftover from old caliper brake pads.

This math is accurate, though every company measures their fenders differently. If they're metal, add 10mm and round up. If they're plastic, you can obey the manufacturer's recommendation, just know that you'll get tire spray if the fender width is too close to the tire width. Think "on top" instead of "around".

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
+
"clearance for 32c tires (28’s w/fenders)"
=
~38ish fenders?

Probably 40 or 45 with a crimp or Dremel then. Full disclosure: I have not yet fendered my Mr Pink.

Get some Sheldon Nuts. I use them along with bolts leftover from old caliper brake pads.
@rlb i have those same brakes
I have always run the 35 planet bike hardcore or cascadia fenders on my pink. Right now I am running a 28 sector on the front and a 28 5000s TL on the rear. They both measure about 27. I think 45’s would really be pushing it especially since my 35’s are slammed against the brake.

the guy who said 45’s would work in that link you posted also mounted his front fender like this:

68CCED4E-7CB8-4844-862B-AB78BBFF80F1.jpeg

And Sheldon nuts all the way, this way you can take your fenders on/off really quick.

Karate Monkey

Ex: P65 SKS fender (65mm wide) fits over 2" (50mm) tire with good wrap-around.

IMG_20170921_101658.jpg

Ex: 50mm fenders covering a 40mm tire. Notice how the plastic fenders, even of good quality, don't do a great job covering the sides of the tire. When the front wheel turns, you WILL get wet.

IMG_20190303_131229.jpg

More pics when I get home from work...

Karate Monkey

And Sheldon nuts all the way, this way you can take your fenders on/off really quick.

If you buy a second set of secu-clips from SKS, it's even easier, since you only need to yank the stays out of that, and leave it attached to the fork/frame.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
If you buy a second set of secu-clips from SKS, it's even easier, since you only need to yank the stays out of that, and leave it attached to the fork/frame.
Ok, not a fan is SKS as the metal fitting became loose and rattled. I prefer the plastic bridge mount of planet bike.

rlb

I think 45’s would really be pushing it especially since my 35’s are slammed against the brake.

the guy who said 45’s would work in that link you posted also mounted his front fender like this:

FWIW I think that's the design on those fenders, every pic of them looks that way. I also think those may be velo orange brakes which seem to have more clearance than the Shimanos. Good to know the 35s are a close fit, thanks for the info.

rlb

Ex: P65 SKS fender (65mm wide) fits over 2" (50mm) tire with good wrap-around.

View attachment 119829

Ex: 50mm fenders covering a 40mm tire. Notice how the plastic fenders, even of good quality, don't do a great job covering the sides of the tire. When the front wheel turns, you WILL get wet.

View attachment 119830

More pics when I get home from work...

Thanks, was leaning towards metal anyway. I need something with good rear coverage, the primary goal is to stop spraying my kid with dirt when she's in the bike trailer.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
FWIW I think that's the design on those fenders, every pic of them looks that way. I also think those may be velo orange brakes which seem to have more clearance than the Shimanos. Good to know the 35s are a close fit, thanks for the info.
FWIW, I got a shorter flap in the cascadia because it would get caught on stuff and mine was 6” hire than that.

Karate Monkey

Ex 3+4:

IMG_20200223_162414.jpg

IMG_20200223_162355.jpg

Bitch of a shot to get; look at the sideways clearance of the tire...leave enough that a piece of gravel cannot get stuck--it will destroy an aluminum fender.

You can see the profile of the large fenders in this shot; if you don't buy a rounded-profile fender, it will be flatter than is ultimately desirable...the trick is that outside of boutique manufacturers (Berthoud and Honjo), nobody makes LARGE round metal fenders.

rlb

Ex 3+4:

View attachment 119843

View attachment 119844

Bitch of a shot to get; look at the sideways clearance of the tire...leave enough that a piece of gravel cannot get stuck--it will destroy an aluminum fender.

You can see the profile of the large fenders in this shot; if you don't buy a rounded-profile fender, it will be flatter than is ultimately desirable...the trick is that outside of boutique manufacturers (Berthoud and Honjo), nobody makes LARGE round metal fenders.

This is good info, thanks!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Good to know, but it's not like I'm actually going to ride it!

0B3B42B9-5EDD-4B1E-B25C-83AE14800D27.jpeg

so you can see, 35 mm fender and you still have room to play with in the brakes, but you can see it is slammed in the middle.

Attachments

• B17283B5-04DE-4E01-93DD-AA8E2AA2EED6.jpeg
    B17283B5-04DE-4E01-93DD-AA8E2AA2EED6.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 8AB6162A-2E21-4DB8-8BF4-3F2BA0154A32.jpeg
    8AB6162A-2E21-4DB8-8BF4-3F2BA0154A32.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 72

rlb

so you can see, 35 mm fender and you still have room to play with in the brakes, but you can see it is slammed in the middle.

Those are planet bikes? I wanted to go all out w/ PDWs but that's a tough gamble for $120.

Just found this too, dude had the 45s but looks like he has the velo orange brakes as well. Not sure how much more room they get you.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Those are planet bikes? I wanted to go all out w/ PDWs but that's a tough gamble for $120.

Just found this too, dude had the 45s but looks like he has the velo orange brakes as well. Not sure how much more room they get you.

Yeah, now that position in the front is normal.
Those are the planet bike cascadia. I found a really good deal on the PDW ones but the timing just wasn’t right.

Dean S

You'll need a very long rear fender to not spray the bike trailer. I have used some rubber stair tread material to make a mud flap for more coverage. I dont like plastic fenders. Steel or aluminum fenders have a rolled edge that directs spray downwards. They mounts up way more solidly too.

rlb

You'll need a very long rear fender to not spray the bike trailer. I have used some rubber stair tread material to make a mud flap for more coverage. I dont like plastic fenders. Steel or aluminum fenders have a rolled edge that directs spray downwards. They mounts up way more solidly too.

Definitely going metal, either the cascadia alx or PDW full metal. I need to see who has the PDWs locally, those are my preference.

Top Bottom