Question for SRAM Eagle AXS users

carvegybe

I have a set of Santa Cruz Reserve wheels with a Shimano hub. I am looking to get a new bike with XO1 AXS on it (including a set of wheels with XD driver in the rear). The idea would be to be able to switch out wheelsets to change from XC to more aggressive tires. I hear AXS works with Shimano cassettes but I wonder how difficult it is to switch out the rear tire that has the factory-fitted Eagle cassette to the SC Reserve tire with an XT or XTR cassette (12-spd) without having to mess with b screws and adjustment gizmos that apparently are required for smooth shifting with SRAM. Also, what happens if my SRAM and Shimano cassettes have different ranges?

I have always had Shimano drivertrains which have been quite reliable and did not require a lot of tweaking. I currently switch out the rear tire in 30 seconds with all Shimano stuff.

How deep does the rabbit hole go if I get the AXS?

Thanks

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Swapping between wheelsets will require some finagling regardless of cassette. 9 out of 10 times it's as simple as a few clicks of the micro adjust to get everything lined up.

carvegybe

Swapping between wheelsets will require some finagling regardless of cassette. 9 out of 10 times it's as simple as a few clicks of the micro adjust to get everything lined up.
Are you referring to the non-AXS micro adjust mech or does AXS have micro adjustments as well that would need to be used to change out the rear wheel?

goldsbar

The b-screw adjustment is pretty easy now. The new white tool is easier to use/see than the older red tool. I set mine as is (not sagged) and it seems to work well; might depend on your suspension type and how much it alters under sag. It's notoriously finicky if you don't get it close to perfect.

Once you switch the wheels, you're probably talking about a few minutes of adjustments between the b-screw and the micro adjuster.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i cant say between shimano and sram cassettes, but switching wheels all the same model of cassette on them and i dont usually have to adjust anything

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
You'll also need spacers to get the rotors aligned, so no futzing on the non drive side

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
AXS has a micro adjust. But cable or not, Shimano or Sram, you'll need to do some adjusting between wheels.
Not me, mine switch over is perfect. I have a set of crank bros xct11 wheels and a set of stans valor both with i9 hydra hubs. I constantly swap the driver to switch wheelset from ss bike or geared bike. Never adjust.

carvegybe

I also don't adjust anything when I switch out, but I'm switching between 11-42 XT Shimano cassette and 11-42 SLX Shimano cassette (11sp)

I imagine things will be more complicated with SRAM-Shimano switches. I didn't think about spacers to get rotors to align as per @Patrick's post. Does the right spacer solve the problem or is there regular rotor rubbing god forbid? Has anyone tried this?

Patrick

Staff member
I also don't adjust anything when I switch out, but I'm switching between 11-42 XT Shimano cassette and 11-42 SLX Shimano cassette (11sp)

I imagine things will be more complicated with SRAM-Shimano switches. I didn't think about spacers to get rotors to align as per @Patrick's post. Does the right spacer solve the problem or is there regular rotor rubbing god forbid? Has anyone tried this?

yes - between the 29+ set and the 26x5 for the fat bike.

one piece crank

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I bought a Shimano xt 12 speed equipped bike. Threw on an AXS derailleur and shifter and only had to adjust the B screw. AXS is ridiculously easy to adjust and set up.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I guess you have to figure out the rotor spacing difference before deciding which wheel set gets spacers?
The one that rubs the outside brake pad is where you adjust the caliper. Shim the other ones to match. You could probably measure the mounting face with a dial indicator bit that going way too far @Patrick for my taste. Trial and error it is

Patrick

Staff member
The one that rubs the outside brake pad is where you adjust the caliper. Shim the other ones to match. You could probably measure the mounting face with a dial indicator bit that going way too far @Patrick for my taste. Trial and error it is

and have the same rotor, cause different ones are different thicknesses.

i think a "laser" would be useful here. ;)

Top Bottom