Question for Ibis Ripley owners... ??

a.s.

My best bud is about to pull the trigger on a Ripley. He’s trying to decide between a Med and Lrg. At 5’9 he’s right between sizes.

How tall are you and what size frame do you recommend?

xrjx

My best bud is about to pull the trigger on a Ripley. He’s trying to decide between a Med and Lrg. At 5’9 he’s right between sizes.

How tall are you and what size frame do you recommend?

i'm 5'11 and rode one in a size M (don't own a ripley). I wouldn't have purchased a Medium, would prefer large at my size, but i wouldn't say it was 'too small'. If i were a couple inches shorter, i think i'd have gone M.

Ian F

I've been between a M and L in various bikes for a long time. I have a BMX background, so I usually sized down to a M. However, when I bought my Megatower I was able to test both sizes (thanks to Halters) and chose the L. For what I generally use the bike for (bike parks) I've been happy with that choice. It is a BIG, long bike and not the easiest thing to get around a tight corner, but it's also ridiculously stable and forgiving. It's a monster truck that wants to go straight over anything in its path.

Conversely, my Chameleon is still a M. While I have still not ridden the bike yet (damn shoulder injury...), I'm not too concerned with it feeling too small for the "general silliness" type of riding I plan to do on it.

My Spot is a L, but the sizing puts me smack in the middle of the L sizing range, so I never considered a M.

So.... I'd ask what kind of rider is he? A straight-line-plow-down-the-middle rider, or a change-lines-all-the-time rider? If the former, I'd say L. If the latter, M. If he plans to spend a fair amount of time on the bike doing park riding, I'd lean L as well.

cdrmtbiker

I'm slightly over 5'8". I have a large Ripmo but I think the sizing for the Ripley will be similar. I have always ridden a medium frame. I demoed both the medium and large Ripmo before my purchase and I felt more comfortable on the large. After having the Ripmo for a year I'm happy I went with a large. I don't think he will go wrong with either size it's just a matter of whether he likes a tighter or more open feel in the cockpit.

a.s.

So.... I'd ask what kind of rider is he? A straight-line-plow-down-the-middle rider, or a change-lines-all-the-time rider? If the former, I'd say L. If the latter, M. If he plans to spend a fair amount of time on the bike doing park riding, I'd lean L as well.
How tall are you? My buddy's a mellow guy who doesn't take the gnarly lines. If he ever visited a bike park, he would probably never venture off the green trails. Personally, I think he should go medium.

Ian F

I'm 5' 10" with a 34" inseam and looking at the Ibis site, a L Ripley actually has a hair longer reach than my L Megatower, so I would have a hard time deciding between a M and a L sight-unseen, although their sizing chart puts me solidly on a L.

A Medium sounds like it should be fine for him.

Cannonbill

I’m 5 10, ride a large Ripley LS. 5 9 could go either way, as the thinking goes, bigger for stability, smaller for playfulness. I generally prefer to size up when I am on the line.

a.s.

After demoing the medium and large as well as a Ripmo in both sizes, he decided on a medium Ripley. He could have saved the trouble and just listened to me from the start. :p

krink

That’s interesting. I am 5’8” and have a medium Ripley that I got six months ago. I have the seat pushed fully back on the rails and the cockpit feels a little cramped. Don’t want to extend the stem any further and wondered if I should’ve gotten a large. I am torso long and leg short for my size though.

Top Bottom