Question About Compressors

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm thinking about getting a compressor. I don't think I will use it all the time so I don't want to spend a ton of money. Some things I think it will be useful for:

1) Inflating. Currently, I go up to 100PSI.
2) Tubeless tire stuff.
3) Paint spraying.
4) Blowing crap off bike/parts.

That's it for now, but maybe it'll be useful for other stuff in the future. So the question is what kind of specs on the compressor do I need to do the above things? PSI? Horsepower? Any recommendations? I don't really care about noise or waiting, so don't mind if it has a small tank.

1, 2 and 4 don't require anything special... however with paint spraying you want to make sure that you have plenty of volume.

I have the 60 gallon Husky compressor from Home depot... its right around $400 and the best money i've ever spent for my "shop". I run a lot of air tools.

What are your space limitations?
When you say paint spraying are we talking a small air brush or an automotive style sprayer?
You could get away with a small 1 gallon pancake style unit. Those are pretty decent and easy to deal with.

.... That's a good point, I was envisioning an auto spray gun... 60 gallons will be major overkill for an air brush!

Also is there anything else you may want to use the compressor for? For instance a 1/2" impact makes tasks such as removing lug nuts for rotating tires or taking blades off a lawnmower a breeze. If stuff like that would benefit you, and you're limited with space then one of those 17 gallon setups will work very well.

Last edited:
Also is there anything else you may want to use the compressor for? For instance a 1/2" impact makes tasks such as removing lug nuts for rotating tires or taking blades off a lawnmower a breeze. If stuff like that would benefit you, and you're limited with space then one of those 17 gallon setups will work very well.

If you'd be interested in these types of tools you'll also need some decent air flow capabilities also (~ 10 CFM). A high volume tank is good for sporadic use but it wont be able to keep up w/ prolonged impact gun use unless it has a good CFM rating.

Anyway, the same old principles apply....Don't buy the Huffy because you only plan to ride it up and down your driveway. Sooner or later you'll want to hit the trails, so just go for the 29er right off the bat

Whatever tools and paint sprayers you use will specify air flow requirements in their specs. These are usually stated as so many cubic feet per minute at a given pressure.

Select a compressor with a capacity of 1-1/2 times that, so you have a bit of reserve.

Tank size isn't really a factor in continuous use, but if you're using air in short bursts, such as sporatic use of an impact wrench, a larger tank acts as a buffer and can make up for a shortfall in capacity.

Lastly, consider your needed working pressure. Most inexpensive compressures have pressure controllers that turn the compressor on at 70psi, and off at 110psi or so. You can't really tamper with these, and are also limited by the safe working pressure of the tank. This means that if you plan to use it to fill your tires to 95psi, you might have to blow off air, and wait for the compressure to cycle on and top off the tank.

If you plan on needing 90psi or more for your tires, consider moving up to a better unit with an ASME rated tank. These have higher working pressures and the controller can safely be adjusted to cycle at a higher minimum pressure.

Wow a lot of good info here. I was hoping I wouldn't have to figure out how to do math again, but no such luck :hmmm:

What are your space limitations?
When you say paint spraying are we talking a small air brush or an automotive style sprayer? You could get away with a small 1 gallon pancake style unit. Those are pretty decent and easy to deal with.

.... That's a good point, I was envisioning an auto spray gun... 60 gallons will be major overkill for an air brush! Also is there anything else you may want to use the compressor for? For instance a 1/2" impact makes tasks such as removing lug nuts for rotating tires or taking blades off a lawnmower a breeze. If stuff like that would benefit you, and you're limited with space then one of those 17 gallon setups will work very well.

Don't really have space limitations, but I do think 60 gallons will be overkill. I don't work on cars or don't really see myself doing that in the future. Don't own a lawnmower (we hire landscapers). That's why I don't really see myself using air powered tools so much. As for painting, will an air brush be sufficient for spraying stuff like bike frames, lawn chairs, household items, etc...? I don't really see myself spraying anything like a car.

Lastly, consider your needed working pressure. Most inexpensive compressures have pressure controllers that turn the compressor on at 70psi, and off at 110psi or so. You can't really tamper with these, and are also limited by the safe working pressure of the tank. This means that if you plan to use it to fill your tires to 95psi, you might have to blow off air, and wait for the compressure to cycle on and top off the tank.

If you plan on needing 90psi or more for your tires, consider moving up to a better unit with an ASME rated tank. These have higher working pressures and the controller can safely be adjusted to cycle at a higher minimum pressure.

Would something like this work for pumping up to 100psi?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...&+Equipment&sName=Air+Compressors+&+Inflators

One other thing I'm confused about is when they say Maximum 125PSI, does it really mean 125PSI? Most of the ones I'm looking at give a maximum PSI of 125+ but in the specs will say something like 6CFM@40PSI, 4CFM@90PSI.

In your example, the 125psi is the compressor/tank max pressure rating.

The other spec's, like 6CFM@40PSI, are "airflow" rates (CFM = cubic feet per minute). Use this when selecting an airtool such as an impact gun, or paint gun. The compressor's flow rate should meet or exceed the airtool's requirement.

Airflow is where you typically fall short when comnsidering painting. You not only need flow, but volume (large tank), or you will be waiting for the compressor to recharge the tank so you can continue. Meanwhile you paint starts to dry...

Tom P.

What are you pumping to 100 psi? Road tires? A floor pump works much better.

Then you don't need to think about the science of airflow... a unit like you posted would work for everything else you say.

Maybe I'm over-thinking this. I already have a floor pump, as well as a small hobby compressor (w/o tank) that works with my air brush - Hmm .. I wonder if I get just a tank, if my hobby compressor would be able to fill it?

If anything, I think I just need something reasonably small, kind like the one Lou has. Lou, what kind of applications have you used yours for?

don't get an oil-less compressor. they are loud as hell

Unless it's a tiny compressor than it's really the only way to go. Like the pancake style.

The pancake style is of course useful for air brushing t-shirts at the jersey shore and model airplanes, not much else in the way of painting.

If buying an air compressor to power air tools or of any real size DO NOT BUY OIL-LESS. Incredibly loud and don't work as well.

-Steve

Back
Top Bottom