PVC Truck Bed Bike Rack

joeschaar

Hello bike experts,

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/bikerack/makerack.htm

I have seen on-line a web site that covers the building of a PVC bike rack for an open pickup truck bed. The idea is to leave the tires on and build the rack to hold the tires (front or rear). Additionally, use bungee cords to hold the rack in and bike down.

Logically, this seems to work but I am a skeptical person.

Has anyone built this type of rack?

Do the bikes bounce around during transport even though you bungee them to the rack?

Did I mention I'm also lazy which is why I do not want to take the front wheel off and use a Yakima or Rockymount.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

"slow" Joe

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Word is that the PVC is LOUD, and that as the pipes twist in the back of the truck you can really hear it in the cab.

One friend replaced his homemade PVC rack with a wooden one, screwed together, painted with a few coats of black paint for waterproofing. MUCH quieter.

Also, bungee cords for aren't suitable. Get ratcheting nylon webbing load straps. WAY more secure.

Guys secure 200-lb motos on trailers just with the load straps alone, so you'll be fine with a wooden rack and load straps. We've put up to 9 DH bikes in the back of a long bed pickup that way...

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
if you have a welder and some time...

I built this, it works very well, dont need to remove the front wheels either, and 2 straps holds a bike nicely. I can also lock the bike to the bed. the rack is mounted to the bed, via welding nuts to the front panel of the bed and then bolting the rack on, that way i dont need to get inbetween the bed and cab to hold a nut for removal. Installation took longer than fabrication did, but i like it. I think im going to get it powdercoated because the spray paint just isnt doing it

Attachments

• P1010365.JPG
    P1010365.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 537

joeschaar

if you have a welder and some time...

I built this, it works very well, dont need to remove the front wheels either, and 2 straps holds a bike nicely. I can also lock the bike to the bed. the rack is mounted to the bed, via welding nuts to the front panel of the bed and then bolting the rack on, that way i dont need to get inbetween the bed and cab to hold a nut for removal. Installation took longer than fabrication did, but i like it. I think im going to get it powdercoated because the spray paint just isnt doing it

This rig looks great. nice work. I am certain that if I was to use what little welding skills I have the end result would be a visit from the fireman.:)

BTW, Thanks everyone for the feedback. i am still on the fence but I have to do something before spring. My kid wants to ride with me and bring friends so I'll need to work out 4 adult sized bikes in my Nissan PU.

Top Bottom