Push'd

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Has anyone had there Fox shock push'd? I have an '05 Trance and my shock could probably use service although it has not had any problems. Is it worth the $150 to get the factory tuning option or should I just go with the $95 rebuild.

Wazu

Wait till there are problems. Depending on your riding style and where you ride it might be years till you feel any problems whatsoever. Let your shock tell you it needs work. I'm sure mechanics would disagree.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Has anyone had there Fox shock push'd? I have an '05 Trance and my shock could probably use service although it has not had any problems. Is it worth the $150 to get the factory tuning option or should I just go with the $95 rebuild.

$95 rebuild? Just buy the seals kit and do it yourself for $12 - $15. It is amazingly easy to rebuild a shock -- I learned how to do that in the Cycleworks Park Tools Class. No special tools are required, either.

Of course, that doesn't include changing the oil in the damper, but I don't believe that those are too much of an issue. The main thing that goes are the seals.

If the shock is "stuck down" though, that's a different story.

Last edited:

Shaggz

A strong 7
YTC100 had great success with a PUSH on the same bike. He hasn't been around recently, but drop him a PM

Maurice

I agree with Allamuchy Joe. If your shock is working well it sounds a bit like a rip-off for just a "rebuild". When you crack the shock open you will see very few moving parts. Unless it needs a nitrogen refill (I'm assuming you're talking about the rear shock, a fork is even simpler) then leave it alone for now or just do the seals.

Cheers,

Maurice

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Depends which shock you have. My rear shock is easier to take apart than it is to true a derailleur. Anyway, I agree with the DIY suggestions.

Shaggz

A strong 7
agreed that the $95 service may not be worth it. Scott (YTC) was having problems with his shock. He went for the whole enchilada, and noticed a marked improvement in performance. Again, his observation, not mine. However, this is also a guy who is on par with with many LBS mechanics, so his technical opinions carry some weight with me, YMMV.

Wobbegong

The Push mods made a nice change to the feel of my bike. Out of saddle efforts feel more firm with less bob, but yet if feels smoother on small bump and roots as well. I waited until my shock and fork needed some love before I sent them to push. Their customer service was excellent, they answered lots of questions before the rebuild/upgrade. I'd say it was worth the money.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
I wonder how much PUSH helps the Trance.

I have the regular 05 Trance and the new Trance X1. I made some adjustments on the 05 Trance and I didn't notice a difference. Lately, I've been fiddling with the settings on the Trance X and honestly it doesn't feel any different to me either.

I know I am a lot heavier than Scott (YTC100), so that could be why I don't feel the difference but he does.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Not too sure, Joe. There are some good reviews on the Giant board, but, well, you know. I have the RP3 (not pushed), and I do notice the difference between the 3 settings.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Since I just have the Float R, i don't notice much of a difference between air or rebound settings. I know the Push factory tuned adds a different valve with adds a "platform" adjustment. I really don't notice too much bobb on the trance as it is though.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Fox will also do the maintenance, with nitrogen recharge , for around $50.

mwlikesbikes

i had the fox float RL on my titus switchblade rebuilt by them and it seems to work better now. the shock was blown when they got it so a simple seal replacement would not be enough. there was internal damage.
i went for the custom tuning which includes adding the pro pedal feature. that also eliminates the lock out but i barely used that anyway. turnaround was just about 10 days. they called me to verify my settings.
overall i think their service is excellent and would use them again and recomend them to anyone considering a major shock or fork rebuild.

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
my rp3 is on its way back from fox right now. it got stuck down, so I had that fixed and had them upgrade the pro pedal valving to "firm." (the rp3 has 3 different factory propedal valving options, I think most come as "medium")

I think it's going to be $80 for this, but I will know for sure when it gets to the shop.

I asked someone with much experience in this matter and he told me to not bother spending the extra $$$ with push and go factory instead.

de00304

push experience

I have had three good experiences with push. I have two rp3's and a talus fork that were done by them.

#1) I could not feel any difference on the 3 settings on the rp3 that came with my motolite. I talked to titus and found that the rp3 was valved for an average 175 lb rider. Since that aint me, I had push rebuild it and valve it for my weight and riding style, and the difference was significant. I think if you are an "average" size dude, then it probably wont make much difference.

#2) I also had an older "classic" blur that had a frame crack, which was replaced with a blur LT frame by santa cruz. At that time fox did not make the proper length rp3 that i needed to get the full travel from the blur LT, so I bought one from push, who modified the stock rp3 to the longer stroke to get the full LT travel (along with mods for my weight, riding style, etc).

#3) Lastly my older talus fork was in need of a rebuild, so i had push do it and it came out great. Conversely, I had another fox fork on a different bike rebuillt at one of the LBS, and the experience was not so good.

bobkennelly

Push industries

I had a rear fox shock service done by them via Halters cycles, I am very pleased with the results..it feels better than new.

Top Bottom