Purchased $1K carbon wheels for a bike that doesn’t yet exist.

You are ...

• A genius. Let’s hope your wife doesn’t find out!

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • That was dumb. Let me know when you’re ready to sell me the wheels.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Risky but sometimes ya just gotta say f%#$ it. Good luck!

Votes: 21 51.2%

• Total voters

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
‘20 RS Pike Ultimate purchased! ...20% off Black Friday special! Picked up a PNW dropper post too. I put a few other bits on my Christmas list. Let’s hope Santa feels generous this year! :D

More to come!

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
20% off one full price item at JensonUSA for Cyber Monday. Pretty much everything I wanted was “excluded” from the offer. Thought I’d try one more time... BINGO, snapped up a snazzy Race Face Turbine R 35 Stem. Free shipping and no tax makes the deal that much sweeter.

Build thread coming soon.
wwop

TimBay

20% off one full price item at JensonUSA for Cyber Monday. Pretty much everything I wanted was “excluded” from the offer. Thought I’d try one more time... BINGO, snapped up a snazzy Race Face Turbine R 35 Stem. Free shipping and no tax makes the deal that much sweeter.

Build thread coming soon.
wwop
Pretty sure Jenson has 20% off 1 full priced item EVERY DAY. Most of their stuff is never full priced tho.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Pretty sure Jenson has 20% off 1 full priced item EVERY DAY. Most of their stuff is never full priced tho.
LOL. That is true but if you’ve ever tried to use the redemption on anything over $50, it usually gets rejected. This find is a win in my book. :p

Mathers

I was on the same color hike thing for awhile and I agree, it works. It also works to take the wheels off bikes as somehow the rest of the bike is invisible without wheels on. Also different location throughout the garage helps too. That being said, don’t commute to work on a bike and leave a different one in its spot ?

I have since moved on to random colored bikes but the biggest threat to my new gear is my 12 year old son. I have a running joke with @Mountain Bike Mike to see how long something is in the garage before he notices and it is typically minutes. IDK, he senses it or something or maybe sense that he is getting the hand-me-down or whatever the part is replacing.

The struggle is real.
Haha my son is also my worst enemy at times. " Dad is that a new seat and grips"

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
a.s. said:
I’m going to build a sweet ass rig at a BARGAIN price. I’m going to accomplished this by taking my time and cherry picking parts ...closeout deals, eBay bargains, lightly used parts for sale on various forums, etc. The budget is around $5K. No kidneys will need to be sold. :D

Well that went out the window pretty quick. Changed my mind and went with the Orbea Occam frame, which cost $1200 more than the Norco Optic. Then I decided to go with Sram XO Eagle instead of GX. Of course I couldn’t have alloy RF Turbine cranks with XO parts so I went with the carbon Next R cranks.... see where this is going.

Needless to say my bargain bike build has been upgraded to a straight up dream bike build. :eek: I still managed to get everything at a good-great price and have all the parts sitting in my garage (minus a bottom bracket). Custom painted frame arrives in April. :cool:

Mathers

Well that went out the window pretty quick. Changed my mind and went with the Orbea Occam frame, which cost $1200 more than the Norco Optic. Then I decided to go with Sram XO Eagle instead of GX. Of course I couldn’t have alloy RF Turbine cranks with XO parts so I went with the carbon Next R cranks.... see where this is going.

Needless to say my bargain bike build has been upgraded to a straight up dream bike build. :eek: I still managed to get everything at a good-great price and have all the parts sitting in my garage (minus a bottom bracket). Custom painted frame arrives in April. :cool:
Nice ? what’s the custom color ?

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
are you going with 140 or 150 up front?
didn't like the Grip2 Fox for it?
140 ...but only because I already purchased a RS Pike Ultimate anticipating it was going on a Norco Optic. All things considered it’s probably a better choice for the type of riding I do.

serviceguy

Ditto on the cranks, just be prepared to cry every time a big rock is approaching, ask me how I know...and buy boots for them! I even doubled on the 'bargain' fat bike build with a set of NEXT SL (not G5 though)...at least your frame is custom painted...mine took from February to April in order to arrive and is raw aluminium!

Don't worry, between here and April your bike will get so many updates that your head will spin...

mtn

I can't wrap my head around how a bargain bike is built with a $5k budget.

But when Specialized drops their new 36lb Levo, I'll be buying that $15k model. What a steal.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I can't wrap my head around how a bargain bike is built with a $5k budget.

Think of it like this .... If you paid $350,000 for a new Lamborghini Aventador then that would be a bargain since it costs close to $500K. After all is said and done, I'll have a sweet ride that is worth much more than what I ended up paying. That my friends is a what you call a bargain. ;)

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Think of it like this .... If you paid $350,000 for a new Lamborghini Aventador then that would be a bargain since it costs close to $500K. After all is said and done, I'll have a sweet ride that is worth much more than what I ended up paying. That my friends is a what you call a bargain. ;)

This is exactly the logic I use with the wife. It is a 30% off sale, the more we spend, the more we save!!! :D

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Lets hope whoever is building my frame doesn’t contract the Coronavirus. :eek:

11E4A131-E21D-4845-B288-81C2BD997708.jpeg

Top Bottom