Pump track!

pkovo

Yerp, the same people who did port jervis
Videos may be blurry because still processing

only downside for winter is that it is in an open field, so you get murdered by the wind

Since BMX shut down, my daughter and I have been hitting the Camp Olympic Pump track semi-regularly. It's nice, well designed, but quite tight for a "big bike". Quite honestly, it can't compare to Port Jervis so if you are equidistant to both tracks, PJ for the win. However for a kid, it's arguably better.

It also gets really crowded on the weekends, lots of kids, lots of scooters. 5 min from south mountain, so a combo ride is possible also. And yeah, the wind can be a bit brutal.

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Since BMX shut down, my daughter and I have been hitting the Camp Olympic Pump track semi-regularly. It's nice, well designed, but quite tight for a "big bike". Quite honestly, it can't compare to Port Jervis so if you are equidistant to both tracks, PJ for the win. However for a kid, it's arguably better.

It also gets really crowded on the weekends, lots of kids, lots of scooters. 5 min from south mountain, so a combo ride is possible also. And yeah, the wind can be a bit brutal.

Your daughter is quite a ripper!

don

Thanks, super proud of the way she is progressing. At the rate she is improving and I am regressing, a role reversal relatively soon is inevitable. I kind of can't wait until that happens.
She's riding great! What bike is she on? At first glance it almost looks like a mini cruiser but maybe those are just 1-3/8" rims? Awesome to see and it must be amazing taking laps with her!

pkovo

She's riding great! What bike is she on? At first glance it almost looks like a mini cruiser but maybe those are just 1-3/8" rims? Awesome to see and it must be amazing taking laps with her!
Thanks, and good eye, it is indeed a mini cruiser; 24 x 1-3/8. It's a really nice little chromoly Standard I lucked into a deal on used. I also built her a more generic 20" race bike recently, but she has yet to try it out on a track. I introduced her to Stephens a couple weeks ago now BMX is in the back seat behind mountain biking....which is fine with me!

don

Thanks, and good eye, it is indeed a mini cruiser; 24 x 1-3/8. It's a really nice little chromoly Standard I lucked into a deal on used. I also built her a more generic 20" race bike recently, but she has yet to try it out on a track. I introduced her to Stephens a couple weeks ago now BMX is in the back seat behind mountain biking....which is fine with me!
Wow - I didn't even know they still made mini cruisers. It's another class to run on race day even if it's combined with a number of ages. Standard make a great bike so it will last a long while and probably hold it's value well. Keep her riding everything - I feel the skills transfer between all the disciplines in one way or another!

pkovo

Wow - I didn't even know they still made mini cruisers. It's another class to run on race day even if it's combined with a number of ages. Standard make a great bike so it will last a long while and probably hold it's value well. Keep her riding everything - I feel the skills transfer between all the disciplines in one way or another!
Spot on. She races class and then girls cruiser. Pretty much always the youngest in girls cruiser, but it gets her twice the races and twice the practice. And you are correct the skills definitely transfer.

Sadly, she sprouted 4" this year. She'll outgrow the little Standard this year. I'll get my money back but I LOVE that stupid little bike. Will be sad to let it go.

Reactions: don

don

Spot on. She races class and then girls cruiser. Pretty much always the youngest in girls cruiser, but it gets her twice the races and twice the practice. And you are correct the skills definitely transfer.

Sadly, she sprouted 4" this year. She'll outgrow the little Standard this year. I'll get my money back but I LOVE that stupid little bike. Will be sad to let it go.

Back as a kid racing BMX I always ran cruiser class. Like you said, twice the races and practice!

Standards are something special - I had a TRLS250 right after it was changed from TRAIL BOSS that I liked a lot. I'm sure you will sell it easily but sad to let it go!

NJ Gator

Hi All! Although I have been to Nassau a whole bunch I have never been to the flow trails or the pump track. I am aware everything is closed till Spring but I am wondering if the pump track is still scheduled to open for 2021 season. Looking to get some skills coaching and I was asked if I had access to a pump track. Although farther, Allentown is doable and if I get some sessions in before Spring this is probably the better option. Figured I would ask anyway.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
if you are on FB, Jeff and crew are very responsive.
they pop on here regularly also -
just to make sure he gets a notification. (thanks J.)

@Jeffreywoliver

pkovo

I suspect pump track will reopen late April. Depends on rainfall this spring.
Is that the anticipated time frame for the other trails also? Nassau, flow etc..?

I walked the pump track Friday morning. The track itself was surprisingly dry. The backside in the shade was softer as to be expected, and the insides of the loops were moist, but overall the majority of the track was firm.

It's also clearly being ridden.

pkovo

There was a post yesterday on the HBNJ_FLOWTRAIL Instagram site that mentioned they want to have the pump track resurfaced with new clay. Which would be great if it comes to fruition.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
1615841087901.png

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions