Proposed Morris County hiking, biking trail gets $1.9M in federal funds

Rozack

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/11/proposed_hiking_biking_trail_i.html

Proposed Morris County hiking, biking trail gets $1.9M in federal funds
By Lawrence Ragonese/The Star-Ledger
November 15, 2009, 7:30AM
MORRIS COUNTY -- A proposed six-mile hiking and biking trail that would run through Pequannock and Wayne, connecting to NJ Transit’s Mountain View train station, has gotten long-awaited federal authorization, including $1.9 million in federal dollars, according to Morris County officials.

The money will be used to design the project, including engineering, surveying, topographical, wetlands and other environmental reviews, said Frank Pinto, director of the Morris County Department of Planning and Development.

If all goes well, construction of the trail could begin within two years, said Jerry Rohsler, the county’s transportation director. The estimated total price tag for the project is $4 million.

"It took 10 years to get authorization, so it’s a big deal to get this moving to the next stage," said Pinto.

But he stressed there are still plenty of obstacles to overcome, including creating a safe means for hikers and bikers to get over the Pompton River.

The asphalt trail, which would run from Post Lane in Riverdale, through Pequannock and to the train station in Wayne, would be the first of its kind in the Route 23 corridor region of Morris and Passaic counties. It has been especially appealing to transportation officials because it connects with mass transit.

"We’re expecting this will be used a lot," said Rohsler. "If it wasn’t such a good project, we would not have spent all of this effort continuing to pursue it."

The bike path would be open to cyclists, strollers, in-line skaters and horseback riders, but motorized vehicles, such as dirt bikes, would be prohibited. The trail would provide a link to Pequannock Valley Park and the aquatic park along the Wanaque River, officials said, and also would pass beneath Route 23, providing a safe highway crossing.

Pequannock officials have said they hope to post kiosks along the trail and throughout town, pointing bikers to downtown shopping and historic sites.

While design work moves ahead, Morris County officials will negotiate an easement agreement with NYS&W railroad for use of the path that abuts its long-unused tracks, said Rohsler. He said the two sides have spoken "extensively" and he is optimistic an agreement can be reached.

Nathan Fenno, an NYS&W vice president, has said the railroad supports the trails concept but noted there are details to work out, including safety and liability issues, plus compensation. Trains have not run on this section of track for more than a decade, but the rail line wants to retain ownership in case it decides to reactivate the line, Fenno said.

Pinto said the toughest obstacle will be getting hikers and bikers over the Pompton River. Rohsler said the likely solution would be to add a pedestrian segment to an existing NYS&W bridge that now spans the waterway. That issue will be thoroughly explored in the design phase, he said.

The idea for the bike path was conceived more than a decade ago by Pete Standish, a Pequannock resident and avid cyclist, said local officials. When Standish died, he donated money to the township for the project. The money sits in a township account.

To memorialize Standish’s effort and contribution, a portion of the township’s bike lane may be dedicated in his name, officials have said.

"There is great interest in Pequannock to get this accomplished,’’ said Morris County Freeholder Jack Schrier. "We’re glad to see this finally moving along.’’

Once completed, the trail will be managed and policed by the Morris County Park Commission.

Staff writer Kristen Alloway contributed to this report.

gtluke

The Moped
It's 4 million for 6 miles, just 2 of of is federal. Thankfully the feds have a surplus of cash to hand out to pave forests.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
"The money will be used to design the project, including engineering, surveying, topographical, wetlands and other environmental reviews, said Frank Pinto, director of the Morris County Department of Planning and Development."

$4 Million for six miles. $126.26 per foot. Assuming it's 12 feet wide thats $10 per sq ft. Last time I checked asphalt was about $1 to $3 per square. Actually doesn't sound so bad. The only problem is, it will wind up costing $6 million, in which case this becomes ridiculous.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
When I worked in civil I worked on the Byram bike path for a bit. I remember it being just like an actual road project. I had to do profile drawings, grading and cross sections every 50'. Which is great when you are building a road and there are drainage pipes, and underground utilities to be concerned with. But this was in the middle of the woods, I dont remember having to locate a single crossing utility of any kind. I thought that was a bit excessive for a bike path, but that was the requirements for building one. Adds plenty of cost to a project, thats for sure.

Last edited:

gtluke

The Moped
A friend of mine had a bridge put in for his cabin, it crosses the beaverkill river in NY, about the same size. It was only like 20k, and you drive a car across it. You can get pre engineered bridges for something like this. Not that the feds would ever do anything cost effective, I'm sure they will spend at least 5 times what a normal person would pay for anything. Well they normally do, I'm a subcontractor for government work, the government is so inundated with bureaucracy that they pay 5-10 times what anything should cost and the contractor still gets ripped off.

Deezul

This is on my wall

Attachments

• government-demotivator.jpg
    government-demotivator.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 136

bruce.b

Dickwad
I grew up a couple of blocks away from where this goes by the baseball fields in Pompton Plains. Kids have used the train tracks (that's what everyone called it) for generations to get from the sandpit in Pequannock to PV Park and even to Pompton Lakes. I just happened to ride my Curtlo on this last week when I was checking out my old town.

At one time you could cross the river on an abandoned trestle to get into Pompton Lakes from Pompton Plains. I played along the river and under Rt 23 all the time growing up. It was an amazing place back then; really wild and beautiful. Feeder Dam and Gar Damn are back there. It's also where we went trout, carp and catfish fishing. It was also a big hangout area for us as we got older. The Sandpits were where we went swimming when we didn't want to swim at PV Park. I fished them all the time growing up. I have a ton of memories of this trail and all it connected.

I wish they wouldn't pave it. You can go ride most of it now if you want. It is a worthwhile project to make it a trail, just the paving part is dumb.

bruce b.

Dirt

Just imagine how much unpaved trail they could build for $2M. Oh well. At least a paved trail may keep down the traffic on other trails.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I grew up a couple of blocks away from where this goes by the baseball fields in Pompton Plains. Kids have used the train tracks (that's what everyone called it) for generations to get from the sandpit in Pequannock to PV Park and even to Pompton Lakes. I just happened to ride my Curtlo on this last week when I was checking out my old town.

At one time you could cross the river on an abandoned trestle to get into Pompton Lakes from Pompton Plains. I played along the river and under Rt 23 all the time growing up. It was an amazing place back then; really wild and beautiful. Feeder Dam and Gar Damn are back there. It's also where we went trout, carp and catfish fishing. It was also a big hangout area for us as we got older. The Sandpits were where we went swimming when we didn't want to swim at PV Park. I fished them all the time growing up. I have a ton of memories of this trail and all it connected.

I wish they wouldn't pave it. You can go ride most of it now if you want. It is a worthwhile project to make it a trail, just the paving part is dumb.

bruce b.

I guess the good news is, when it floods back there on the Wayne side everyone can jog out of there on the trail.

Deezul

Perhaps having a paved trail will get some normal folks out enjoying nature, and for many people, a paved trail is as close as they ever want to get to nature.

EDIT: But yea that price tag is ridiculous, everyone wants in on the government project so a lot of unnecessary work gets done

goldsbar

Of course this is selfish and has nothing to do with public transportation, but imagine how much you could do with $2 million for MTB trails. Each park could hire a couple of people full-time for a couple of years to build and upgrade existing trails. Splitrock could be Epic.

Top Bottom