Proper way to warm up

K

ks9mm

Hi All,

sorry for silly question...

do you have a warmup routine? for some reason I think that warming up on the trail is not the best way to do it...

I mean, I would try to take it easy in for few min, but sometime trail starts hard right away.

Thanks!

anrothar

entirely thrilled
it is best to gradually warm up, and it helps if there is a rail bed near the start of your loop. otherwise, the parking lot, some lower elevation trails near it, or a spin on the road would suffice. the problem with warming up, is a proper warm up can take 30 minutes, so add that to your ride time, and you're at the trail even longer....

K

ks9mm

oh man...

with such warm ups I will will have nothing left for the ride...

ok, back to the basics then...ride ride and ride some more... build strenth and endurane...

I cant believe what poor shape I am in. :mad: :mad:

ytc100

Just have fun and don't worry so much about getting all technical about warming up etc. Unless you're looking to race all that B.S. will not be fun or worthwhile IMHO.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just have fun and don't worry so much about getting all technical about warming up etc. Unless you're looking to race all that B.S. will not be fun or worthwhile IMHO.

I think a proper warmup helps either way. If you're out riding for fun and just blast into the trails you're going to be in pain much faster as well as adding potential for injury. I know it takes me a while to get my "flow" off-road which basically equates to warming up in the first 15-20 minutes no matter where I'm riding.

ytc100

I think a proper warmup helps either way. If you're out riding for fun and just blast into the trails you're going to be in pain much faster as well as adding potential for injury. I know it takes me a while to get my "flow" off-road which basically equates to warming up in the first 15-20 minutes no matter where I'm riding.

My warmup consists of riding slowly and easily for the first 20 minutes wherever I am. That's it. I don't think the thread referenced makes any sense for anyone who's out to just enjoy the ride although as a technical guide it can be of some insight.

To the OP:
Just ride at your pace and don't worry about what everyone else is doing (especially Norm). :)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My warmup consists of riding slowly and easily for the first 20 minutes wherever I am. That's it. I don't think the thread referenced makes any sense for anyone who's out to just enjoy the ride although as a technical guide it can be of some insight.

To the OP:
Just ride at your pace and don't worry about what everyone else is doing (especially Norm). :)

The thread referenced actually has only 1 post about warming up. It shifted into race start discussion and how to train for that. Imagine that, thread drift :)

I agree with your easy 20 minute start. Your last post suggested that you shouldn't even do that.

To the OP: Do everything I do, including jersey choices.

K

ks9mm

I've been venturing to HIgh Mountain recently...it's 15 in from my house and I like it...

so the problem is that even small climbs that are there leave me completly winded...even in granny gear...

my heart rate just jumps to 170 - 180... so I was thinking maybe i need to warm up better... start slower...

monkey boy

Self-Imposed Exile
20 Minutes moderate pace. do 2 one minute hard efforts in there & get the HR up. Show up to the line sweating a bit.
Got this from an ex NJ state semi champ. it worked for him & I have had great success with it as well. I do it on the rollers, you get funny looks but it improvs 'DA Skillz.
Norm, Love the new photo,

clutch

You could try a 20t chainring. Other than that I guess your stuck finding somewhere flat to warm up.

ytc100

I've been venturing to HIgh Mountain recently...it's 15 in from my house and I like it...

so the problem is that even small climbs that are there leave me completly winded...even in granny gear...

my heart rate just jumps to 170 - 180... so I was thinking maybe i need to warm up better... start slower...

If you are new to riding it will take some time to build fitness. Start as slow as you can and ride as long as you can. In time those small hills will actually seem small.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
20 minute warmup sounds good to me.

and yeah, norm, you look JUST like molly ringwald in that pic. it's uncanny... ;)

f2f4

I ride around the lot for 5 minutes, then take it easy for the trail for the next 15 minutes, then go.

Not very scientific, but it works. :|

Top Bottom